Professional audio question. Lavalier and "Boom" microphone inquiry

When should a "Boom" pole microphone or wireless lapel --lavalier-- one be used? When is one preferred over the other?

I've been thinking about the filming of reality television shows, televised interviews, feature and indie films, and web content, and have been wondering when it's best to use which type of microphone. If a reality television show is being filmed, should a "Boom" pole microphone be used to record audio from the subjects involved with the show while they're being followed around by a production crew? Wireless lapel --lavalier-- microphones? Both? What about when someone is sitting down for a televised interview? Should they use a wireless lapel --lavalier-- microphone? A "Boom" pole microphone? What about for feature and indie films? Web content?

I've never filmed anything professionally, but am aspiring to soon.

Both. I do field audio a lot for local video production companies. In almost every situation I run both lav and boom mic (sometimes shotgun, sometimes hypercardioid). The reason for both is redundancy. Sometimes a persons voice might not sound good with the lav.... or they might have a shirt that makes noise when they move because of heavy starch.... or they might shout suddenly and the lav could overload.

The biggest thing is options and safety. Especially if you don't have the option of multiple takes... multiple mics can be a life saver.

I was asked to mix a film once... the director brought it over to preview... they used ONE mic for every scene and every actor.... so there was nothing to mix. The boom op wasn't very good about placement or movement, and the whole project is at risk now.

#SOUNDMATTERS

I completely agree with soundslikejoe, I can't remember the last time I wasn't supplied with both boom and lav in audio post for any of the content types you mentioned.

Reality shows are popular with TV Prodco's because audiences and broadcasters like them and because they're relatively cheap to produce. However, sound is not an area where they cut costs, in fact the opposite! It's not uncommon to have a dozen or more audio channels being recorded simultaneously. Lavs on everyone, plant mics and one or two booms where possible. Reality shows (the real ones) are not scripted, don't use professional actors and the format usually doesn't allow for ADR to be a possibility. Interviews with members of the public or experts also usually preclude ADR and therefore again, getting good sound during filming is critical.

Web content ranges from home video to full commercial quality, those filmmakers working with lo/no budgets often just go with a boom, to keep costs to a minimum. The same is usually true of no budget filmmakers, working towards low tier film festivals and/or self distribution.

G

Back