Problem with MicroSD card

So I just was going out to shoot (T3i), and I got the popup "Card cannot be accessed. Reinsert/change the card or format with camera." I've used it for a year or so now and this has only been a minor problem that I've easily fixed in the past by turning the camera off and on again. No Magic Lantern or other types of firm-ware installed.

I'm using a 32GB Micro SD card with a MicroSD adapter. The adapter worked with a 2GB, although the 32GB MicroSD card w/ the adapter keeps giving me the "card cannot be accessed" warning. I've has this all yesterday up until this afternoon.

I tried formatting the card... many times.
I turned the camera on and off.. many, many times.
I tried taking the card out and putting it back in.
I turned off the camera, and took out the battery and card... nothing.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

^, also...

On holiday I had some idiot in a film processing place pull out my card mid-read. It corrupted a lot of the data - made the card unreadable when I tried to read the data either on my camera or PC. I did get most of the data back thanks to some recovery software I bought.

The card started working again after a reformat.

Have you left this card anywhere different? Speakers etc can ruin cards if they are left on them.

Try reading and writing to the card on your PC.

The issue could be with the card or the card reader on your camera. Hopefully it is the former and it can be fixed...

...but it doesn't sound good.

Google has lots on this issue - from a Blackberry forum
https://supportforums.blackberry.co...t-Be-Accessed-Due-To-Fatal-Errors/td-p/524684

In camera or using a computer?

Tried the camera, as well as the computer.

Have you used the card for something else?

Never.

On holiday I had some idiot in a film processing place pull out my card mid-read. It corrupted a lot of the data - made the card unreadable when I tried to read the data either on my camera or PC. I did get most of the data back thanks to some recovery software I bought.

Congrats on getting that fixed! Looking forward to the film(s) you're working on.

Have you left this card anywhere different? Speakers etc can ruin cards if they are left on them.

Nope.

The issue could be with the card or the card reader on your camera. Hopefully it is the former and it can be fixed...

A cheap 2GB card worked, so that's good.

Thanks for the link. I'm gonna check that out.

maybe format it in a different camera, then put it back in the t3i, and format it again?

I'll try that as well.

If another card works and the card in question doesn't, it sounds like the card is faulty, not the equipment. That's good news.

If I were you, I'd replace that card immediately and never use it for anything you care about (basically I'm saying, throw it out). I'd also suggesting getting a backup card, so in case this happens again, you can use the other card.

Flash memory (which is what's inside an SD card) is among the most unreliable forms of storage. All flash memory is faulty. That's why SD cards, CF cards, memory sticks etc are equipped with tiny microprocessors that map the faults and stop those areas of memory from being used. In fact, if you buy (say) a 4GB card, you may find that it actually has 8, 16 or even 32 GB of memory inside, but it's so faulty that most of it is marked as being unusable. (This applies mainly to cheaper brands - one of the reasons why it's worth paying more for good names.)

Flash memory inside SSDs fares a little better because those have better quality control and proper processors that carry out 'wear levelling' to slow down the rate at which memory fails. This is why they tend to be expensive.

But the bottom line is:
a) always have backup cards - I like to have three times as many cards as I think I'm going to need;
b) be ready to ditch cards when they start behaving badly (never trust them again);
c) get your data off the card and onto HDDs as soon as practically possible.

Cards are cheaper than re-shoots.

Back