Premiere Pro CS6 (on PC) and Canon 6D Mov files - cannot import

Hi

I'm very new to the editing world. Started up Premiere Pro CS6 for the first time today. I have a lot of footage to edit.

Tried without success to import my Canon 6D .MOV 1920x1080 ALL-I files into Premiere Pro CS6.

The 6D uses .MOV files (Quicktime apparently) with the codec: MPEG-4 AVC / H.264.

Not sure if it's the same codec used by the much more popular Canon 5D?

When I open a new project, the PP CS6 file browser does not allow me to select the .MOV files, it does not even show them. I thought CS6 had native support for all Canon DSLR file formats.

I have done a search here and a fair bit of googling. Not much on PP CS6 workflows for the 6D out there. There were a few articles but they were for Macs (I'm using a PC) and advised buying additional software.

Any advice on how the heck I import these files would be hugely appreciated...

Hardware: powerful PC laptop running Windows 7 (64 bit)

Last edited:
I thought it was native to CS6 too.

You could try Handbrake. It's a free program that can re-encode. It's not a perfect option, but at least you can see where you're at.

Do you have a fully licenced version Paul? I believe that some codecs are left out of the trial version. Also make sure you update your software as soon as you get it and make sure you install all components as codecs can be in separate addons.

I've never had an issue with importing .movs in. I now use CC but a year ago I was using CS6 and was importing .mov in perfectly fine.

You should not need to buy additional software. I've been editing on Premiere since the CS3 days (and quite regularly!) so if you need any more advice just ask.

(Most used programs!! :P )
8m4BMqc.png

Does your error look like this?

LvDVgbx.png

I reread your original post and you realised you tried to import through the file browser. I personally just drag and drop, give it a shot. Just drag it into the project window (by default top left section)

Thanks Sweetie & MileCreations.

MileCreations. My CS6 is fully licensed.

Cool. So CS6 does natively support Canon .MOV files then.

I don't get an error message as such - just no imported file.

I'll try the drag and drop method.

I'm assuming you installed from a disc, if dragging and dropping doesn't work (file browser should work though) go to Help>Updates and check that it is fully updated, which if it came from a disc, probably isn't

I'm assuming you installed from a disc, if dragging and dropping doesn't work (file browser should work though) go to Help>Updates and check that it is fully updated, which if it came from a disc, probably isn't

Thanks, you're a lifesaver. I did the update then dragged and dropped and holy smoke, my files imported!

Thank you so much. :) :) :)

Back