• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Possible to edit in Final Cut Pro, then finish with CS5?

I saw something online the other day where via an XML file you can take your project that was created and edited in Final Cut pro and then switch over and use CS5.

When I tried to Google this I just got a zillion pages of CS5 vs. FCP. No surprise there.

Now I just got CS5. It's the Production Premium version, I believe. Basically, the one below the insanely expensive Master Collection that goes for 2.5k.

Upgraded my system's ram to 8GB, my OS to Win7 64 bit. My hard drive to a much faster single platter 500GB Samsung 7200rpm. I must say that editing some test footage shot with a DSLR has resulted in zero crashes or stuttering. Nice. Very nice. Kills Vegas all to hell too.

Now my current short film was shot on a Canon 7D and edited on a Macbook Pro in FCP (latest version).

I've got some re-shoots coming up and will not have access to the same editor. I have everything on a single External drive (plus copied on another).

So is it possible to do my re-shoots and then keep editing, but via CS5 if I can get someone with Final Cut pro to export that XML file or whatever it is? It would save me from having to start from scratch.

Yeah, CS5 will import the FCP XML if it's just cuts, no transitions. If you try to import an XML file with a crossfade or dissolve it will give an error, and in my experience says it can't import it. You'll also loose any filters on the audio and video.

Back