marketing Portfolios and Youtube for Filmmaking

So, I've been making videos for a while. But only really focusing on filmmaking as a professional hobby for the last few years.

In that time, my youtube channel (where I upload most of my content) has a whopping 66 subs, and barely scratching in viewerships or retention.
I want to keep pushing my filmmaking, but also start a VLOG showing behind the scenes antics in a fun and entertaining way (no talking head training vids for me!).

I've been struggling the last few months though.... Shifting between wanting to start a brand new channel, or pushing videos and making content on my old one.

I'm thinking of making a "professional" channel, where I can promote future films. It would be a portfolio channel. At the same time, keeping my old channel for the VLOG.

If anyone had the gumption, could you take a look at my channel and let me know what you think of this?

I don't want to remove older videos, because I want to remember where I came from.... But I know that some of those videos will probably hurt my chances of getting jobs in the future with filmmaking.

This isn't a promotion post, so hopefully I'm not breaking rules putting my channel. I just genuinely want feedback on which direction I should take.

Last edited:
Sounds like you're doing something similar to our newest member 12PercentPhil, although he's going do only one short project a month.

In my opinion, you should do all the things you want to do, and when you feel you're ready splurge the extra ducats put your professional portfolio on Vimeo.
You rang...?

I am going through the same thing at the moment in terms of the YouTube channel and building an audience, but like you I'm focusing on the creative part much more than the 'marketing' element of it - it's certainly a struggle not to focus on the metrics and the numbers, but they only really tell part of the story with the bigger channels anyway. There's no analytic measure for how much someone enjoys or learns from your content really, so it's better to just focus on creating the best stuff we can and developing a genuine artistic voice - I'm right here on the journey with you!

Just subscribed to your channel, looking forward to seeing more of your stuff in future!

You rang...?

I am going through the same thing at the moment in terms of the YouTube channel and building an audience, but like you I'm focusing on the creative part much more than the 'marketing' element of it - it's certainly a struggle not to focus on the metrics and the numbers, but they only really tell part of the story with the bigger channels anyway. There's no analytic measure for how much someone enjoys or learns from your content really, so it's better to just focus on creating the best stuff we can and developing a genuine artistic voice - I'm right here on the journey with you!

Just subscribed to your channel, looking forward to seeing more of your stuff in future!
Thanks for subin! I think I subd to your as well? But watching the challenge vid made me confused? Are you the gentleman who made the cooking vid for Jan? Or the gentleman who was challenged to light with candlelight?

Back