• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Please Critique some Frame Grabs from upcoming short film

thanks

Thanks Danielp, it took me a while to understand that there are no rules in lighting, you even have to know how to light badly if the need arises(mocking bad lighting).

Its really about how you use and bend light to your will, doesn't matter the source, even if it flickers the story might call for it!

Lighting is all about storytelling. Sometimes you may not need anything other than a bounce card - other times you'll need 8 lights. With today's cameras lighting is no longer for exposure - its for mood, depth, selective focus, supporting the story and art. The only rule about lighting is, don't shoot if the lighting doesn't fit the scene. Do something to make it work.

Your images are stunning - some real beautiful lighting and camera framing. Personally i like using rich blues but i know several DPs who think night should be more subtle - like a half CTB rather than a more theatrical blue. You have a really nice color palette of earth tones and the rich blue image, while pretty, may take away from that for some viewers. Its your choice of style, but you might consider in the coloring taking down the blues a little so that those scenes blend more into your other great scenes. Its an artistic choice and since I don' t know the story, perhaps you want the shock of the blue. Just a comment.

But great work!

Back