Planing the next project

We just finished our first film, a comedy short of 50 minutes, it's getting good support and we've met the A-List people in our little corner of the world. We're ready for featureville and want to do it with some money up front and are thinking about pitching investors. We need to pay actors, get crew, a good AD and line producer, step up to the plate. We faked our way through some of that but I don't want to go through wearing all those hats again and you've got to pay good people who know what they are doing. We can write, direct and edit and handle the creative control part.

I'm getting tons of advice from people who have made it to a degree and they all say if you want to raise money or turn a profit, you have to pick a genre. Horror/thriller is the most obvious but any genre with a built-in market will do. I'm sure eveyone knows of some piece of crap film, made for $100K, sold for $250K based not at all on merit but on the fact that with the right cover art, it'll make it in Blockbusters. We don't want to do crap but ANY well told story would be fun to do, and a lot more fun than the 9-5 work we've been doing while we made our first film.

So I'm looking for advice, particularly resources for business plans, llc's, how to pitch. Hell, I'd even read a dry book on the subject if it's well recommended. We do have a proven product to say "Look, we know what we're doing" and we actually know some folks with a pipeline to distributors, a foot in the door so to speak.

Any advice is appreciated.

Back