PF24 and 24P

Alright guys, today i have gotten my new camera " canon vixia hf g10" and it is awesome. so cool. I have a question about it though. what is the difference between PF24 and 24P. In the manual it said they were essentially the same thing. However, it told me that if you were going to upload your movie project on video sharing websites that it is best to use the PF24 mode. does anybody know why?

One of those modes is true 24p, and the other is the earlier version that records a pseudo-24p.

I've forgotten which is the true 24p, but shouldn't be hard to look up.

The pseudo-24p is still essentially recorded at 60i, but by using dropdown it can be changed to regular 24p via Dropdown. It was used on many consumer Canon camcorders til the HV30 or HV40 came out (which started including the actual 24p). Before that, it was fakin' it pretty well.

Hopefully someone can explain better than I just did. :lol:

Hey man thanks for your reply, I think the regular 24P is the true one basing it off of what the box advertises
"Native 24P" Like i said though, they said they both do the same thing but it told me to use the PF24 if i was going to use it on websites where you can share videos. But i couldn't imagine using native 24P wouldn't hurt my picture.

The PF24 generates 60i files encoded in order to be able to apply a pulldown removal on the editing software.
The 24P (or 24F) will output a 23,97 framerate without pulldown.

edit: oops, while I was writting, Zensteve already answered hehe.

Nothing important. Maybe they are trying to say that if you want to share it on a website, is good for you to record with both framerates for the case the server only allows one.

But it doesn't make any sense at the current time anymore.

PF24 (interlaced 24fps) was invented as a way of shooting 24fps that would natively play back on a standard-def interlaced TV that doesn't support true 24p. I'd consider it rather useless in today's world of computer monitors and HD TVs. Shoot and edit in native 24p and avoid the headaches of dealing with interlaced footage. :)

If PF24 is in a 60i wrapper, it's odd that they'd recommend that as the format to use for online uploads - I'd say the manual is wrong on that, you should always shoot true progressive if you're planning to distribute online.

Back