PC is having trouble with Premiere

I can play all modern games on ultra. People are editing on older, cheap entry level laptops. Yet I can't get premiere cc to run correctly.

My build is:

MSI 970 Mobo
AMD 6300 CPU
EVGA GTX 960 4gb
16gb 2133mhz ram
WD blue SATA drives

Looking into getting an SSD soon, but I feel like that wouldn't really help. When trying to edit, it's barely able to play back footage "smoothly", then as soon as I try any sort of color correction/grading, it gets to a depressing level of lag and delay. Even when playing back footage at 1/4 quality. I have the project settings set to cuda playback and not software only. I notice Adobe draws all of my CPU power when trying to edit. Very desperate to resolve this issue, as I have weddings coming up and a film I want to work on. I don't really have the budget to throw around on a completely new build, and I'm afraid to start throwing parts at it. Anyone's input would be highly appreciated!

I can play all modern games on ultra.
GPU vs CPU based applications aren't great benchmarks to compare with.

input would be highly appreciated!
Garbage in = garbage out. Insufficient data to reach any definite conclusion, but if I were to make a bet, it'd could be your CPU, depending on what type of 6300 you have.

Yet I can't get premiere cc to run correctly.
Could also be operator error.

GPU vs CPU based applications aren't great benchmarks to compare with.

Garbage in = garbage out. Insufficient data to reach any definite conclusion, but if I were to make a bet, it'd could be your CPU, depending on what type of 6300 you have.

Could also be operator error.

True, but I was seeing it in terms of running modern PC taxing games on ultra vs simply loading a 1080p clip onto a timeline, adding an adjustment layer & lumetri then getting frustrating lag during playback, and delay on everything I click/do.

This is my CPU:

https://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16819113286

In what ways could it be operator? I'm hoping I'm just doing something wrong, but I don't believe that is the case. How can people edit on outdated laptops with weaker specs than my current build? Do I have a bottleneck by using SATA as opposed to SSD/m.2?

In what ways could it be operator?
Allowing faulty hardware/memory to continue to operate, using faulty media, using an inappropriate workflow for the media/hardware combination, using outdated functions, not knowing where your bottlenecks are.

Do I have a bottleneck by using SATA as opposed to SSD/m.2?
Why are you asking us/me. You're the one in front of your computer? What's the capability of your hardware? What is your media data rates required? What do your tests show?

This is my CPU:
It's a bottom end level CPU these days. Your video card is similar to the bottom rung of nvidia's new GPU's.

You should do some testing. Does it happen with every media or just what you're using. Perhaps you're being unrealistic with the media you're trying to edit. Every effect or just particular effects. Where are the bottle necks happening? CPU, GPU, Memory, HDD. Have you tried reinstalling PP. Faulty mods, virus, trojan, faulty hardware, is the GPU enabled? Tried turning the mercury engine off etc.

A common problem I see these days is editors trying to work on variable framerate media.

It could be one or more of hundreds of other issues.

Problem solving can be complex. It's virtually impossible if the operator or their assistant doesn't know enough of the basics to include the information required to diagnose their problem.

Allowing faulty hardware/memory to continue to operate, using faulty media, using an inappropriate workflow for the media/hardware combination, using outdated functions, not knowing where your bottlenecks are.

Why are you asking us/me. You're the one in front of your computer? What's the capability of your hardware? What is your media data rates required? What do your tests show?

It's a bottom end level CPU these days. Your video card is similar to the bottom rung of nvidia's new GPU's.

You should do some testing. Does it happen with every media or just what you're using. Perhaps you're being unrealistic with the media you're trying to edit. Every effect or just particular effects. Where are the bottle necks happening? CPU, GPU, Memory, HDD. Have you tried reinstalling PP. Faulty mods, virus, trojan, faulty hardware, is the GPU enabled? Tried turning the mercury engine off etc.

A common problem I see these days is editors trying to work on variable framerate media.

It could be one or more of hundreds of other issues.

Problem solving can be complex. It's virtually impossible if the operator or their assistant doesn't know enough of the basics to include the information required to diagnose their problem.

I don't see how I am being unrealistic. How am I being unrealistic? Like I said, I load a simple 1080 clip onto a timeline and the struggle begins. It's drawing all of my system's available resources when I check. It's been happening since my initial install of Windows 10. No matter what settings I have tested solved it. You say my build is bottom end, but I'm not trying to edit 4k or anything crazy/modern. These are simple edits on basic hd clips. People are editing these clips on 5 year old laptops. My problem happens on any version of cc, and after searching I have found I'm not the only one experiencing this issue on a somewhat modern build. I'm reaching out to see if there are possibly known issues with Premiere cc that could explain my experience. Apparently I don't know how to execute extensive troubleshooting with this, but instead of being rude and attempting to make me feel dumb for asking, why don't you offer some actual advice? In your eyes I don't know enough of the basics to offer real assistance, so why bother replying? I'm frustrated enough as it is, I really don't need a pretentious shit on the internet telling me I'm incapable.

It's drawing all of my system's available resources when I check.
It doesn't sound right, I've never heard of that happening before, but if it's all your resources, then everything needs an upgrade.

why don't you offer some actual advice? In your eyes I don't know enough of the basics to offer real assistance
If you read the advice and answered instead of bitching, you'd have worked through the most common issues. Most issues not resolved by a list like that never get solved short of a replacement system.

These are simple edits on basic hd clips. People are editing these clips on 5 year old laptops.
That is a serious problem.

How can people edit on outdated laptops with weaker specs than my current build? I'm not trying to edit 4k or anything crazy/modern
The funny thing, while they're not laptops, I'm constantly editing on client machines with way less specs than you're using, some I swear are older than 5 year old hunk of junks. If you know what you're doing they cut through all that crazy/modern 4k stuff like butter.

If it's an operator error and you buy a new computer, how much will is suck when the issue continues. I'll give it 50/50 my pretentious ass will be laughing.

I have had problems running premiere cc on a new imac! I think that the program as of late has been lacking a bit. But.. One thing that speeded things up, was to not have the files on a external HD (or on a server, as we have where i work), but on the same drive as the program.. I know this is not common advice, but for me, it helped speed things up :)

Back