Panasonic GH4 Available for Pre-Order

Just got an email from B&H.

GH4 Body Only: $1,699.00
GH4 Body w/ Interface Unit: $3,299.99
Interface Unit for GH4: $1,999.99

I know there are a few folks who've been eyeing this guy, so there ya go.

@Nikola I'm not advocating anyone rush out and buy it.. but there are people who've been drooling over it, that's the point of this post.

I agree though. Most people don't need 4k.

Even without 4K, I'd probably buy it for 1080/96p, factory flat color profiles and master pedestal.

Here's a new video from Panasonic showcasing these features, followed by some Panasonic marketing copy:

http://youtu.be/oMnh6wNfmF0

"The new Panasonic GH4 is a great tool for Indie Filmmakers.

With its new CineLike D and V features you will be able to record videos with up to 13 stops of Dynamic Range with a cinematic roll off.

It also features the Master Pedestal option, which will lift your shadow areas, giving you an even better Dynamic Range.

That means that you wont have to worry about your Highlights or your Shadows, because the new GH4 will deliver a beautiful, cinematic image.

Use it in 96fps 1080p, to create a wonderful slowmotion, or even in 4k, to deliver a high-end, powerful image!"

That means that you wont have to worry about your Highlights or your Shadows, because the new GH4 will deliver a beautiful, cinematic image.

Well, I'm definitely going to order one then because I'm sick of having to worry about my highlights and shadows. My motto is all midrange, all the time...

Here's a new video from Panasonic showcasing these features, followed by some Panasonic marketing copy:

http://youtu.be/oMnh6wNfmF0

Looks interesting but everything looks way over-sharpened to my eyes. I've never shot with one of the GH-series cameras - can you turn off in camera sharpening entirely?

Last edited:
Interesting, all of the real-world samples I've run across highlights are blown out. Maybe the camera operators in those cases were taking the "don't have to worry" thing a bit too literally

Well clearly, since we don't need to worry about highlights and shadows anymore, if they appear clipped it must mean they were pure black or white in real life.

The only other possible conclusion is that their claims are merely marketing lies; calling into question the whole spectrum of marketing claims from many camera manufacturers, and soon the whole thing begins to fall apart as we descend into an anarchic realm... fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of (clipped) darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes, the dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

I don't want that kind of responsibility, and so choose to believe that we simply Must... Not... Worry!

Forty years of (clipped) darkness!
I enjoyed this.

Oh and the camera has made some pretty interesting developments, but nothing worthwhile for me to upgrade from my GH3. The whole 4k stuff seems pretty irrelevant to most filmmakers - anyone needing to shoot 4k at this time is probably going to use a *better* camera anyway. Though it of course does push this technology to become cheaper and more affordable for low budget filmmakers, so that part is exciting.

This one looks pretty well exposed at least the sky is not blown out (shot in UHD, not 4K):

http://vimeo.com/89232617

Nothing about this impressed me - it still looks like a DSLR, and still seems to have the inherent issues that you face with shooting on a DSLR with average colour subsampling and high compression (though 100Mbps is certainly better).

4K is irrelevant. I'd rather buy a BMPCC, or if I needed 4k buy the BMPC (which, btw, is only a couple hundred more than the GH4 with the interface unit). Now, I'm no big fan of the Blackmagic cameras, but I prefer the images out of them to everything I've seen out of any GH(x) or any other <$4k DSLR.

Back