Ordered new edit rig...

hi all,
I just put in my order for my custom built editing rig. Pick up on Tuesday next week. bragging I guess..:D

Intel i7-990x CPU (6 cores, 12 with HT, 3.5GHz)
Asus Sabertooth X58 Mother Board
24GB DDR3 RAM
1TB Boot and system hard drive
2 x 1TB hard drives configured in RAID0 for 1tb blazing fast project disk.
Empty Vantec EZ Swap 4. Tray less hard drive rack (for backup\archiving projects off line onto SATA HD's)
Nvidia GeForce GTX570 HD (1.2G ram)
Internal Card Reader
Win7 Pro 64bit

yeah, 400mb download in 24hours cap stinks.. they do "sell" reset tokens for $10 a pop.

There is a FREE time between 11PM and 2AM hence a lot of late nights.

I can go into the city and find some fat pipes and upload\download form there..

the specs are insane!

The hot swapable drive encolsoure is making the project migration a snap. Just pop in the old drive, copy the files, pop in the next one and copy those project files. When Im done, Ill format those drives and use them as backup\off line storage.

I have a question since you sound know what your doing with compters lol. I was rendering out a 15 minute clip from after effects the rendertime was ETA. 34hours. I currently have a i3 proccessor and 4gb of ram on my hp pavillion notebook. If i were to get a ram upgrade would that make the rendering and the overall computer faster? or would i need a better proccesor? would i just be better off buying a custom desktop?

you'll hate me when I tell you .. I got an employee discount on the CPU.. $475. The rest is $1600.

I'll be installing my as of yet uninstalled, copy of Adobe CS5.5 Production Premium.

I've worked in the computer industry for over 16 years, this is the FIRST time I bought a NEW computer for personal use!

How can I afford it? Normally I cant (6 kids, mortgage etc) , but I sold one commercial on poptent.net. Out of the $10K I get a new PC, a collapsible green screen, and a short film with a $800 budget. The rest goes to bills.

Dude that's actually not a bad price for that at all, that is gonna be one awesome computer :D

I have a question since you sound know what your doing with compters lol. I was rendering out a 15 minute clip from after effects the rendertime was ETA. 34hours. I currently have a i3 proccessor and 4gb of ram on my hp pavillion notebook. If i were to get a ram upgrade would that make the rendering and the overall computer faster? or would i need a better proccesor? would i just be better off buying a custom desktop?

Yes, yes, and yes. :)

That's a caricature of me winning an oscar for sound mixing.

The last one was a photo of a hummingbird I took.

I have it on auto-change and it swaps through my iPhoto gallery if you must know.

Wheat - I'm jealous. I should have come seen you when I was in Cannon Beach last month!

Thanks one more thing
I red online that my computer has 2 slots for ram memory and the max they make for it is 4gb so if i get another 4gb one is that the same as having an 8gb? or would it just be 2 seperate 4gb working alone?

Nah, they work together; 4+4=8. So long as your motherboard is compatible with the particular sticks that you wanna put in, you're solid.

Though, you really need to do the research. Not too long ago, I thought RAM is RAM, and that it should all work the same. Totally not true. Each motherboard only works with particular models of RAM, and this info will be documented on the website of your motherboard's manufacturer (though, it can possibly be difficult to track down).

Very much worth it, though. Doubling your RAM will have a very noticeable impact. You'll be glad you did.

Nah, they work together; 4+4=8. So long as your motherboard is compatible with the particular sticks that you wanna put in, you're solid.

Though, you really need to do the research. Not too long ago, I thought RAM is RAM, and that it should all work the same. Totally not true. Each motherboard only works with particular models of RAM, and this info will be documented on the website of your motherboard's manufacturer (though, it can possibly be difficult to track down).

Very much worth it, though. Doubling your RAM will have a very noticeable impact. You'll be glad you did.

Awsome! i found some on the website memorystock.com Have you herd of it? Any way you type in the computer you have brand/model/serial and then it has 5 different ones that it says works with my computer. Should i still check or do you think the website says these are compatible with my computer?

Last edited:
Awsome! i found some on the website memorystock.com Have you herd of it? Any way you type in the computer you have brand/model/serial and then it has 5 different ones that it says works with my computer. Should i still check or do you think the website says these are compatible with my computer?

I can't say, for sure. But if it were me, I would be willing to trust the website you found. Is probably accurate, I would think. Best of luck!

More RAM is never a bad things! While we're talking computer parts buying, if anyone doesn't use pricewatch.com to shop, they should. Pricegathering from tons of online retailers of various size. Most of whom are customer rated. Back when I was building machines, I used that site all the time, and still do whenever I need parts.

Harkens back to the old days of the phonebook sized Computer Shopper magazine, or going to various computer shows at fairgrounds and expo centers (they're probably still around, but I haven't gone in years).

Back