Opinions needed, rent camera for documenting sports or t3i?

Hi guys!
Here again seeking stellar advice.

I've got two big gigs coming up. One is a short format documentary, one is coverage for a sports even (CrossFit). All my experience (24 months) is on my T3i, and I have been able to pretty much do whatever I want with it. However, these gigs are more important than my typical 'favor' type gigs and I want them to really sing. I love the t3i, but it has some issues while filming CrossFit. Specifically, holding a great focus on athletes as they cross the court sucks. Now that I have more experience, I am also doubtful of the clarity of the T3i's compression, as I need to kick up to the next level.

I can't buy, so I am going to borrowlenses to rent something 'better'. What do you guys suggest for filming sports in a very 'run and gun' situation.. I will be hustling with the camera trying to get shots, the camera needs to (in priority) auto focus quickly and reliably, it also needs image stabilization, it also needs to be clear and sharp.. I would love to get some DOF too. It also needs to be something I can get familiar with fairly quickly haha...

What do you guys suggest?

Also needed, is suggestion for settings for filming sports with said camera.

Again, thank you so much for the advice, I don't know what I would do without you all.

Cheers,
R

Back