• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Ooops, I think I killed my baby.

We have all heard the speech about killing our babies. But have any of you shot your script in the nuts by accident.

I guess its a common thing that most writers do, but when I write a script I have few rules, some guidelines and then surprises.

Rules : For each script it will be different. The rules I set myself will be based on the story. Plot points and situations that have to happen no ifs and or buts. The story will be dependent on these points being hit.

Guidelines : These will be the general direction I want things to go between the pre-scripting-planned scenarios.

The surprises are my favorite parts of writing. Example. I know my character will enter a bar. I know that he will then leave the bar at a precise time. But everything that happens within that bar is all real time if you get my drift.

I only find out what is happening and what is being said as the characters in the script do. This often puts me in situations where I laugh my ass of at how strange things can turn out. And I develop a strong attachment to the people in the story as we grow together.

I love writing this way. As my mood at the time of writing will sway the story giving it what I feel is a very organic emotion. Hopefully giving it a personal feel that someday the people watching the movies will pick up and recognize my work. I don't do it for that reason, I just do it how I do it, but having that happen isn't a bad thing.

I digress, another problem with typing while I think is it can easily become a ramble. So taking it back a bit to the nut shooting incident.

I was deep into a story I had been thinking of for a while. A long while. A story I role played in my head for years.
I sat down to script it up and one of the turning points in the story for the main character is that his negligence leads to the death of his daughter, this leads him into depression, that leads him to the top of a building and that starts off the movie. The problem I ran into is that I got so emotionally attached to the child as I spoke in her soft voice in my head and typed her little innocent life onto my screen. That when it came time for he to get hurt it brought me to tears. I couldn't do it. I rewrote her parts. Got child welfare involved and the characters wife split with child. Leaving our main man all alone and sad. SAD. Not depressed. Not on a roof top. And no beginning to the movie. Yes I could write it out and continue. There are other things that happen that will push him over the edge so to speak. But to me it doesn't have the grit anymore. I have had so many people read it and they think its good. But I know better. I killed my baby. And have no interest in continuing it.

Has this happened to anybody. And how did you get over it. Other than just getting over it. And has anybody surprised themselves by writing something so dark that they get disgusted in themselves for being so horrible inside. On a side note and somewhat rambling again, I just realized that I type with my left pinkie finger in the air like I some retarded royalty drinking tea. Haha.

Save a copy of the file and try out the original plan. If killing her brought you so much upset that sounds like what you were going for in the first place. But in case it doesn't turn out so great keep a separate file with the current version of the story. You will never know which route is more effective until you write it.

Back