Online gaming

Just figured I'd see if anyone else plays online MMORPGs. :cool:

I've been playing EVE-Online since 2005. (Before that, EQ2... and before that, plain EQ)

EVE puts out a trailer with each new expansion. Here are some (Right-click & save):

Revelations I (45mb)

Empyrean Age (60mb)

...and just for a laugh, here's one they did before the game was actually released:

Outlaw (12mb)

Anyone else here get into a bit of escapism like that?
smiley_haw.gif

There are tonnes of them out there.

telnet lambda.moo.mud.org:8888 I've been on there since 1991
before that I was playing "Trade Wars"

MMORPGs are nothing new, they've been around for decades... Graphics, however, I consider those pretty new considering my gaming history ;)

I used to be a much bigger gamer... but as far as MMORPGs I was there for the FIRST (and the best) back in the day... that's right- Sierra's "The Realm", whose server was recently shut down for good. But what a good game that was...

Right now I'm playing a bit of "Left 4 Dead", the zombie team survival game.... "Chronotrigger", a classic old-school RPG about time travel (so cool)... A bit of "Red Alert 3", an RTS based in an alternate timeline where Einstein invented a time machine and killed Hitler causing the Russians to become a super-threat that becomes even worse when THEY invent a time machine and go back to kill Einstein... oh yeah, and I've been revisiting a bit of "X-Com: UFO Defense" if anyone remembers that AMAZING game...

X-com? Theres an open source remake of that called UFO:AI.
As far as MMORPGs I've been playing Starport: GE.

I never got into the online games so much but did play Halo and Ghost Recon back in the day on X-box Live. I'd say I got a little too addicted to playing. Too bad I never got to play Madden or Tiger Woods on X-box Live (had to do a different EA registration I didn't feel like) because I think my 18 hole rounds in the 40's would've been hard to beat. :D

Chronotrigger was a great game too Spatula, I played that and Mike Tyson's Punchout on emulators that I got on my computer about a year ago. Shining Force II and lots of the Final Fantasy games were great also.

Chronotrigger is SOOO awesome. I was fighting a computer virus last week over 4 days and 3 formats and it saved my life during the 3+ hour scans, mmm

Did EQ for awhile a couple years back. Now I occasionally do WOW when I find the time.

Too time consuming right now. I barely have time for my day job.

X-com? Theres an open source remake of that called UFO:AI.

I'll have to check that out! I still have the first three X-Com games, but they don't run on Vista.

I like the Cenega's "UFO: Aftermath", which is pretty much X-Com. They've made a few sequels to that, as well. I think they bought a license from the creators, to do that.

As far as MMORPGs I've been playing Starport: GE.

Never heard of that, but spacey-stuff sounds good. :)

I don't have time to get into anything massively real-time unless it's just a quick frag fest or round of RTS. My games need to have a pause button so they don't get in the way of life and schedule, and I like coming back exactly where I left off. Can't do that with MMORPG. My escape of preference is FPS (not squad-based, just me against the virtual world).

I had a friend lose his marriage to WOW. He was escaping a bit too much and forgetting about earning an income, spending time with the family, and overall being responsible to this world. WOW became his world. Sad situation.

I am very much looking forward to F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin.

Kinda taking a break from gaming, used to play so many games not even funny, mostly sitting on online communities, like stickam, indietalk, harmony central, jinx, etc...but when I do game CS 1.6? WoW? SC? anything else I can get my hands on lol...

HEROS is a great free MMO.

SILKROAD is another great free MMO.

I used to play WoW...made it to lvl 35...but it took too much time, and cost a monthly fee, which annoyed me.

I then purchsed GUILD WARS which is a great MMO, which doesn't have a monthly fee. There are a few differences in what the 'MMO' means between GW and WoW...so check it out first. Some of the same makers did GW...which is why it's so good.

You can also try out SECOND LIFE for a different take on the MMO idea. SL isn't really a 'game'...but it's massive, and everything you see is created by the user. One great thing about SL is that it has a functioning economy...they use a currency called 'Lindens'...which transfers over to real-world money...so if you run a business with goods or services...or own and rent land...you can make some really nice cash. A few citizens actually make 6-digit figures in SL...I only pay for my cell phone and my land...which is all good to me.

I've tried several MMO's but always get bored with them. I hate the mentality of questing to get to the next level. It's very repetitive and bores me. I have tried Conquest of Camelot, EVE Online, World of Warcraft and Company of Heroes.

I'm pretty much a WOLFENSTEIN ENEMY TERRITORY guy and that one is totally freeware and still going strong. It's a first person shooter, but it's very goal oriented and teamwork is essential to making it work. There are several great servers still out there with anti-cheaters.

I'm pretty much a WOLFENSTEIN ENEMY TERRITORY guy and that one is totally freeware and still going strong. It's a first person shooter, but it's very goal oriented and teamwork is essential to making it work. There are several great servers still out there with anti-cheaters.

I'm a huge FPS fan--started back when the original came out actually...wow...I'm old.

I tried re-installing the freeware one after all these years, and wasn't impressed. Also, the servers that had people in them were far too high a ping for my liking.

[Almost] anything based on the Q3 engine rocks--especially if it's id making it themselves...

I'm a huge FPS fan--started back when the original came out actually...wow...I'm old.

I tried re-installing the freeware one after all these years, and wasn't impressed. Also, the servers that had people in them were far too high a ping for my liking.

[Almost] anything based on the Q3 engine rocks--especially if it's id making it themselves...

Me, too. And just wait until you see the next chapter in the Wolfenstein universe. Very, very cool.

What's the game to play these days? I'm thinking of finally trying a mmorpg. I'm thinking Guild Wars 2. AngryJoe has me sold on it, I think. But his review is already a couple of years old. But I really like not getting hooked on a monthly payment. I see that it's on sale at the moment.

Hey, do you play with your keyboard for these things? Is that how you should play them? Or do those controllers that you plug in work well?

Still playing Eve Online, Steve? Is that still going strong?

Diablo is not an mmorpg, right?

Last edited:
Not sure what folks are playing these days...I'm not much of an MMO fan (played EQ a bit with my girlfriend...tons of fun when we were in the same room, but even with computers just in a different room? Not my cup of tea). I played the free-to-play marvel game for a while (mostly because you can play as Squirrel Girl!), but that only held my interest for a couple months.

All that said, I WILL be playing this when it launches: https://keepflying.com/

Back