• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

One shot short film...

Hey all,

I know I always put up about making a short film, then never going anywhere.
This time, I got a great idea, I got a draft script written, just need to make amendments.

However, I want to shoot the entire thing in one shot.

Would you write your script as a normal one, but just work as one seemless piece of work on the set?

:cheers:
Josh

EDIT:
I will be using a steadycam system to go from location to location in the house I will be using.

Last edited:
definitely check out Russian Arc. and see behind the scenes.. they had an issue during the first take.. moving the camera from room temp to cold frozen outdoors.. the lens fogged up.. it can definitely be done, but you got to plan everything and direct it really well.. no room for misstakes...

You must really trust your cast and crew to get it right on one take.

I've never had a cast that good. There is always one notorious for changing and messing up their lines where I have to piece together their dialogue and use reaction shots of other characters in the scene to make it right.

Also, strays moving into the picture frame outdoors or unwanted sounds can make that a nightmare.

There was a horror movie called The Silent House that came out a year ago or so that was supposedly done in one shot. But later was found out to be done in a couple of shots with some clever editing to make it look like one long shot.

The big thing about one-shot shorts is that they need to be ALL right, ALL AT ONCE. It's very doable, but know that pre-production is a much more important step (so everyone knows exactly what they need to do on the actual shoot), as is patience.

This is a one-shot short film that has some incredible technical execution, and even so you see camera shadow at one point -- it's hard to have it all. The final film is take 6 of 7 that they did in a day: http://vimeo.com/42733808

Would you write your script as a normal one, but just work as one seemless piece of work on the set?
Since you are also directing and shooting you can write the script
any way you want.

I've never done this for a short but I made a feature in which
the first 22 minutes was one, continuous shot. I wrote the script
with no mention of the way I planned to shoot it.

Back