• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

not enough coverage

What do you do when you're putting a scene together and you don't have enough coverage?? :weird: Dialog scene is about 1 minute long, you have only a master shot and two 5 second closeups on a face..

Record other elements of the set, crop sections (the quality won't be that good but it gives variety).

If you're in a spaceship or factory have announcements in the background, to keep it interesting.

Upload it to withoutabox and send me it to me! :yes:

Without seeing the footage, though, I'm wondering if a REALLY slowly creeping zoom-in might add just the amount of activity that you need. If you keep it ridiculously subtle, a zoom in post will go unnoticed by normal people, and even filmmakers might even think it was supposed to be that way.

Just a thought. Maybe it'll work?

What is the scene about? Maybe some exterior shots of buildings or cars will fit in with it emotionally for example, or who knows what you can come up with, depending on what it's about.

If you're having trouble scheduling actors for a pick up day, perhaps there are ECUs that you can fake? For example, let's say it's a dinner scene. Perhaps you could get ECUs of fingers circling glasses, hands on moving cutlery, a knife cutting into a steak etc.

It may not be great, but at least it's something to cut with..

Use the (sometimes cheesy, sometimes genius) tricks:

- exteriour of the building
- let conversation go on while one of the characters walk on the streets/is staring at the water
- intercut with different scene(s) (like the speech at the end of The Dark Knight)

- or just show it as it is... western style... use sound/music to keep attention.

Back