noob need help!!!!

Hi everyone,

Im going to buy my first camera real soon and I need some advices! What should I look in a camera?
My need: to film bmx,snowmobile,car and show. Im going to make a documentary.

I was looking for the GOpro or the Sony HDR-XR160.

What do you think?

For that type of filming the GoPro seems like a better option

From what I e seen this camera looks like a comparable choice though. http://contour.com/

The issue with both of these is really the only control you get over aperture/ISO/shutter speed etc is the frame rate, which you can only change a few options really. If you wanted quality sound you'd have to record externally

Last edited:
I have both of those. The Sony is way better. GoPros are great for doing things that might destroy the camera, or where you need a really small unit. In terms of real photographic quality, they are near to shit (horrible barrel distortion). If any of your shots are interior or in an area where there are strong horizontal or vertical lines, they will look like they are bent. Plus the Sony has a threaded collar at the end of the lens which enables you to get adapters for different looks. Neither camera is really up to snuff when it comes to manual control of the camera, but the Sony comes closer.

Back