• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch No budget music video, please critique! (A whole year worth of work)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0hwTi-UB2oU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hwTi-UB2oU

Took about a year to collect all the footage, ended up not using most of it in the edit, please tell me how i could improve and what you would have done different, cheers :)
I used a 5dmkii with magic lantern, I did the shooting and editing and directing all by myself. Apart from the graphic at the beginning that was done by a friend. I'm new to shooting music videos, but i'm going to be doing a lot more for this band so any help will be much appreciated, thankyou :)

Took about a year to collect all the footage, ended up not using most of it in the edit
LOL!
Yeah, I can imagine this took a boat load of work just to get the shots.
Editing them together wasn't some slap & paste effort either, I suspect.

please tell me how i could improve and what you would have done different
I'd say it's a generally GOOD video!
I'd guess there wasn't a ridiculous budget, so you did great with the resources put into it.

The whole thing was fairly well designed.
I don't know how tight or loose the plan was from the onset, or how much you ad libbed while editing, but the effects are great.
Each shot was very well done.

That was A. LOT. of layering!
What is that? At least two if not three layers for each and every brief scene?
Sometimes more?
Goodness!
You've got two - three videos in there! :lol:
Lotta work.

And there's such a wide variety of techniques employed!
While each of them done proficiently, I guess what quibbling I had with the overall video is that there was no theme, or not one I could discern.
It's almost a director/cinematographer's show reel of what you can do with a camera and in the editing room.

I might be looking at this too much from a effort vs. result POV.
It was a a lot of effort and all of it's good.
Maybe just limit the number of ingredients in the tossed salad to a dozen, rather than throwing in the whole fridge and cupboard of spices too?

FWIW, the video is more memorable than the song was.
I don't even recall any of it five minutes later.
I dunno what that means.
Could be a good thing.
Could be not. :weird:

GL with future music vids!
I look forward to seeing what you bring us next!
thumbs2.gif

Well the shots that were collected over the year were in the beginning really, I do have about 200GB of footage that was filmed in short clips ready for use in another video. I must have used about 0.1% of everything i shot.

From what i've learned from browsing on these forums and other online sources, I tried to guide my clients into having shots of the band playing their instruments and have one or two stories or themes throughout the video. I studied popular music videos and didn't find much inspiration from the tv, then I started looking for videos that were more creative on vimeo and youtube, I showed them what I meant and I gave examples but they didn't really have much of a clue of what I was explaining, they told me to take random shots, which is what I did for the year and they wanted it to look creepy, that was all the guidance I really had. I did what they asked and after that year I insisted I have them playing, and said they can dress up if they wanted to keep the theme creepy.

After all that most of it was in the editing, I didn't really have a story but the song doesn't really have a story to it either. We did try to come up with a meaning to it but it was going to be too difficult to keep to a theme. However after we shot this video we did this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aPjTDk-37M Which has more of a plot, however i'm not as pleased with the result with that one so I decided to ask for critique on my favourite video.

I agree with you that there is probably too much going on and limiting the video with a story is a good idea, thankyou for your reply!! :)

Back