• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

night and day lens covers

where can i get those covers you put on the lens to make the picture have a night or western effect. and what are they really called

A sepia filter would give an overall sepia tint with others colors somewhat diffused. This seems to impart the 'old times' feel. Some have a fog effect too.

A day for night (DFN) filter underexposes a couple of stops and produces a blueish overcast. That should work for a twilightish effect.

Schneider filters are by far the best. High quality, flawless optical glass. I would stay away from resin or plastic filters, such as Cokin or Hoya. I regularly purchase from www.filmtools.com . They have good prices, ship quickly and are very happy to help you find what you need. Schneider's website has examples of how their filters look and good info (www.schneideroptics.com)

Now its dark...

Ash

Last edited:
Tiffen is supposed to be a good brand. www.Tiffen.com

Because I am cheap, I buy Quantary filters. That's a generic brand from Ritz Camera stores. I have no idea how they rate quality-wise against the rest, but my local Ritz Camera has a permanent "Buy Two, Get One Free" offer... I like that. :cool:

see if you can't find a used camera store in your area, you should be able to pick up filters for fairly cheap. They can always be held in place with some camera tape or gaff tape if they don't quite fit right.

Tobbacco filters would offer a hint of the sepia-tone feel without totally ruining the color. Also, you can white balance (assuming you're using video) to colors other than white for interesting effect. The best thing to do is take the camera to the store and test some filters out to get the effect you're looking for.

Back