• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Nicholl Sad Face

So I had two scripts make it to the Semifinals of the Academy Nicholl Fellowships in Screenwriting this year and I just heard from them that I'm NOT one of the 10 Finalists. Anybody here ever make it to the Finals? I know judging can be incredibly subjective, but I figured I had a fair chance with TWO in the semi's. Rigged, I tell you! RIGGED!

I bet the finalists all live in L.A., too. Incestuous goddamned cesspool of creative glop. Now, Michigan is the place to be if you want good writing! Cold, austere, dead cities and neighborhoods are engines of suffering and, therefore, drama!

Could have used that $35,000 fellowship, too. Bloody bastards.

Writing of compelling quality cannot be taught.

A writer with two scripts in the semifinals of the Nicholl is a mark of compelling quality.

Many top tier screenwriters have placed in the Nicholl semis but not further. Vince Gilligan, Breaking Bad showrunner and lead writer, being one.

Well done OP. Having two scripts in the Nicholl Semis is a great feat. Congrads. :)

pretty excellent accomplishment.

one of the few industry specific accomplishments that people tangential to the filmmaking world would have heard of.

and Vince Gilligan is good company...being the creator of one of the best dramas (film/tv/novel) of the last decade.

So I had two scripts make it to the Semifinals of the Academy Nicholl Fellowships in Screenwriting this year and I just heard from them that I'm NOT one of the 10 Finalists. Anybody here ever make it to the Finals? I know judging can be incredibly subjective, but I figured I had a fair chance with TWO in the semi's. Rigged, I tell you! RIGGED!

I bet the finalists all live in L.A., too. Incestuous goddamned cesspool of creative glop. Now, Michigan is the place to be if you want good writing! Cold, austere, dead cities and neighborhoods are engines of suffering and, therefore, drama!

Could have used that $35,000 fellowship, too. Bloody bastards.

You had 2 scripts in the semis??? Woah! That's awesome.

Hell yeah Adeimantus, that's damn impressive! Shame that neither made it through to the final, but you're now a two-time Nicholl Fellowship semi-finalist which is a massive achievement in itself. Can you give us the log lines of those scripts?

Oh, and congratulations You'reMrPink on one of this forum's all-time stupidest comments ;)

The above was, of course, a faux rant. I was honored to make it to the semi's.

Thanks for the congrats, all. I appreciate it.

The two scripts are:

1. LORCA. This was a collab script written with a writing buddy, Jonathan Lu. Logline: The true life story of Spain’s greatest poet, Federico Garcia Lorca, his friendship with artists Salvador Dali and filmmaker Luis Bunuel, and his capture and murder in 1936 by General Franco’s fascists during Spain’s Civil War.

2. CAPTAIN DICK. Logline: Based on the life of Richard Pierpoint, an escaped black slave who fought for the British against the Americans in the Revolutionary War and won his freedom, was granted land in Ontario, Canada, and started a community of freed slaves and their families.

Oh, and the "Captain Dick" script was a first draft. It's now been rewritten, titled "Once More A King," and has been optioned by a Canadian Producer.

Holy crap! Nicholl just published the names, titles, loglines and contact info for this year's semifinalists. I just got 10 requests to read my scripts by prodco's from all over the world in the last 5 minutes. One cool perk I hadn't thought of!

Holy crap! Nicholl just published the names, titles, loglines and contact info for this year's semifinalists. I just got 10 requests to read my scripts by prodco's from all over the world in the last 5 minutes. One cool perk I hadn't thought of!
Yep, that's the power of the Nicholl. Congrads! :)

Back