Newb looking for tripod recommendations.

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum, and I've searched around, but I couldn't find what I was looking for.

I'm just getting into independent filmmaking. I'm not looking to make the next big thing, just have some fun and create something I'll be proud of. I'm having to buy my pieces a bit at a time, I'm on a budget.

So far, I have a camera (Canon HV20), an external mic (Calrad 10-10), some lights, and a homemade steadycam (the pipe and weights one you hear about everywhere...I know, I know...cheap...but fun!).

For my birthday Friday, my wife told me I can get a tripod. I'm looking everywhere for good deals on a good tripod, but I'm coming up empty. I just don't know enough about the models or what I'm looking for.

I'd read somewhere that Bogen was good, so I was looking for that. Then I realized there are roughly 4 billion models of Bogen tripod.

For instance, I found a Bogen 3205 tripod with a 3130 head for well under $100. I thought, "Great Deal!"

But now I can't find out if those model numbers are good for video. :huh:

Any suggestions? I know you guys probably get these questions a lot (and get annoyed by them), but I thought I would check anyway. What's a good tripod & head for a shopper on a budget that doesn't mind used products?

Thanks guys!

Hi!

First:

It is a good idea to put your tripod "numbers" into the search engine at www.bhphotovideo.com. This way you will know what it is you are purchasing and how much it goes for. You want to get a "fluid" head if you can afford it.

When you get to the page with all the tripods, make sure you click on the 'sort by' button, and click 'low to high'. This will give you prices of the tripods from the lowest price to the highest price.

Happy Hunting

-- spinner :cool:

I am a noob too. Well I bought a Giotto tripod ($80) for my initial tripod, off B&H, because it was cheap and has a pan handle with LANC controller (works great with Canon camcorders) for zoom, record, focus, snapshot). But "you buy cheap you buy twice" is ringing true for me--because I just ordered a Bogen/Manfrotto tripod and head. The Giotto is "fluid head" but I believe quite a poor one, but it works. I am just throwing it out as an idea, but also that if you have the money I suspect others here with more experience will suggest you get a Bogen head at least, seems to be the industry standard at least for novice filmmakers.

Try your best to get a good Bogen/Manfrotto. I agree, buy cheap, buy twice...so it's not so cheap is it? I saved up to buy that tripod and it is a good one. And since I am taking care of it, its going to last me a very long time. Plus, Bogen/Manfrotto has the best reputation for mid-range cost for tripods. You could do MUCH worse....

-- spinner :cool:

WIth that tripod, can you remove the head that's currently on it and just replace the head, keeping the sitcks and the controller?

I tend to 'hire' the best tripod I can, because I find they make all the difference when filming.

Features I tend to look for are:
- Fluid Head
- Reasonably heavy
- Those quick release legs (don't know the proper name) But I like to get the camera pointing roughly where I want and then just drop the legs.
- Ground spreader

I've used Manfrotto and Vinten in the past and was very happy with both. If I was to splash out on a new bit of kit I'd probably get one of those.

Steven

Back