New Shot Logging Web App

Hey fellow indietalkers.. I've been MIA for quite a goodly while as I've been extremely busy with the day job. For those that don't know me at all, or didn't know what I do, that day job is as a web developer. I build really complex web applications and whatnot. In a nutshell, I build the software that powers a lot of websites.

So, now that you know my background, here's why you are reading this thread...

I'm building a new web app that will directly serve you and others like you.

Essentially what it is, is a shot logging application so that while on set you will be able to keep a log of all the takes of your various shots, as well as make notations on those shots, track the timecodes, etc.

Are you interested yet? Cool, here's more.

Some of the planned features:
  • Multiple projects per user
  • Multiple users per project
  • Each project can have unlimited shots
  • Each shot can have unlimited takes
    • Each take can have notes
    • Each take has start and end timecodes
    • Each take can be assigned to a 'reel', 'tape', or 'card' (these will be configurable to support any recording medium)
    • Each take can have a status (statuses too are configurable, 'good', 'bad sound', etc)
  • Shots can be entered before the shoot, or input on the fly as needed (this will allow for handling of additional unplanned shots)
  • Entire shot log can be exported as a csv and/or pdf

Oh yeah, it'll be mobile friendly too, so that you can do all of this with a laptop, desktop, or any smart phone. You want to use your iPhone? No problem. You are an android fan and you'd rather use that than have to go get another device? No problem there either. Eventually I'd like to also develop apps for both iOS and android so that you could use the software without an internet connection (for those remote location shoots, etc). The idea there would be that all the same functionality would exist in the app, and would be able to sync back to the web app when you are on the network.

I'm probably forgetting a few things..

So, are you excited yet? Cool! One problem, I'm Just starting development.
Now I bet you're asking, "Ok, if it's nowhere near ready, why the announcement?"

Yeah, I thought you might ask that. Here's why... I want your input. You are spend a lot more time behind the camera these days than I do, so what features would be useful for you? What would be a "must have or I won't use it" feature for you?

One last bit of info, then I'm going to go back to working on the development of this app... While ultimately I envision this as a paid service (albeit an inexpensive paid service) I fully intend to offer several free accounts to indietalk members who are game for helping beta test the app. These would be free lifetime unlimited accounts, and all I'm going to ask in return is that you are willing to help beta test, and help spread the word. There will be a limited number of people accepted for these beta test accounts, for the rest of you, don't worry, I'll work out some kind of discount plan for indietalk members -- and even without a discount, it'll be priced very affordably.

Ok back to the code jungle. I look forward to your input.

I need offline ability. Mobile friendly means being OK with out a connection for some period of time. maybe the data is "checked in an out" of the cloud db? Reduced functions are ok, for example, maybe I cant see old revisions of my shot list, or I lose the ability to crate new lists, but I had best be able to work with my existing lists and even add new shots.

Other features suggestions. Tie in with one of the slate apps (or make your own)

Initially it will require online access. But when the initial webapp is complete I plan on rolling out native iOS and android versions that won't require being online to use. They would sync back to the webapp when you do get back online.

Back