• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

New Ideas, Situations, What have you

Hello

I wrote this with a lot of ideas in mind but no kinetic plot, I kinda wanted to do something like Taxi Driver's plot structure. I'm looking for things to add in between the time the script reaches 1962. Keep in mind this is HIGHLY under developed, but I like it. If you can leave me some advice, ideas, situations, characters, themes, what have you.

=====================================================================

H U S T L E !

Written
By
Conor J.

Story
By
Conor J.

FIRST DRAFT - EDIT

---------------------------------------------------------

“I’m a flea bit peanut monkey
All my friends are junkies”

The Rolling Stones, Monkey Man

MILES MONROE
Miles is a dealer, a pusher man, a peddler, a hustler, you know the type. Money goes in and assortment of various paraphernalia goes out. Need some grass? Coke? Hash? Heroin? Uppers? downers? How about a brand new Cadillac, with the pink slip, for just two grand!? All you gotta do is go through Miles. Miles enjoys reading but digs movies way more. His favorite movie is Fred Zinnemann’s High Noon. He can relate to the gunmen a lot and likes consider himself an outlaw the same. Miles now gets by selling, heroin mostly, to low-rent jazz musicians and winos. Miles shoots the stuff himself, he started in an attempt to get rid of his insomnia. His sleep has only gotten worse.

INT. MILES ROOM - TIME? WHO THE FUCK KNOWS?

BLACK AND WHITE:
The film is shot with the visual texture of a 1950’s anti-drug propaganda film and is black and white throughout. The date 1952 is super imposed over everything in Miriam font for a few brief seconds. The room is smoky and appears through fumes of exhaust. Everything sits still in motion. Friends/customers are all around, partying, hangin’ out, chillen. Ray Charles, What I Say vibrates throughout the tenements.

MILES
I’m working real hard now, in the evening sometimes even during the day. Like a well oiled machine. It’s all clockwork. It don’t much help though, I still can’t sleep.

Motion sets in and the whole room moves like a slow doped-up fever dream. We move in closer to Miles, leaning back in his recliner like as if it were his throne.

MILES
The dope don’t work neither, it only makes the dreams worse. Damn it man!

CUT TO:
Quick shots of syringes, oxy cottons, rubber ropes, and rolling papers. Little Eva, The Locomotion kicks in.

CREDITS:
HUSTLE!

WRITTEN
AND
DIRECTED
BY CONOR J.

INT. MILES ROOM - MIDDAY

Miles sits in his recliner cooking up some dope to stab into his veins. While waiting Miles listens to the radio. Ray Barreto, El Watusi is playing. He straps the rubber rope around his arm. His vein pulsates. He fills up the syringe. 1… 2… 3… KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK! Someone’s at the door.

MILES
Come in, it’s open.

BLAST OFF! The euphoria shoots into his blood stream. Everything moves in slow-motion. Tranquilized bliss. It’s as though everything is seen from inside a fishbowl. WALKING THROUGH THE DOOR is “LITTLE” ANTHONY. Anthony came by to grab his weekly pick me up. He pays in advance so Miles isn’t too paranoid about getting taken advantage of.

“LITTLE” ANTHONY
Just came by for my weekly pick me up.

Miles sees the words mouthed to him, nods his head, and points over to a ceramic pug on the floor.

MILES
It’s in the pug.

Anthony opens up the top, grabs his dope, and splits. Miles sits alone by himself reflecting in opiate as the music starts to slowly dim.

INT. MILES ROOM - 12:00 P.M.

Miles is dancing with two hookers he picked up from god knows where. The Cleftons, My Angel Lover is playing over the radio. Miles drowns his shirtless body in vodka. He moves violently, dancing the alcohol’s stench off his torso. The hookers are both too whacked out to know what’s going on anyway. Everything fades out.

FADES IN:
Miles lay on his bed exhausted and inebriated, the hookers walked out the door a while ago. Duane Eddie, Rebel Rouser plays in the background. Miles decides to shoot up, we look away.

MILES
No matter where I go or what I do I can’t escape. My life is one long continuous opium dream. Sleep walking through the days and wake walking through the nights. There's no end.

CUT TO:
Quick cuts of religious iconography with narcotic iconography in Miles room. We focus in on Miles in concentration and on his arm. Everything fades.

INT. MILES - MIDDAY, 1962

LONG TRACKING SHOT:
Super imposed over everything is 1962 in Miriam font. The film now performs one of it’s most difficult shots and it plays out to The Rolling Stones, Monkey Man. The camera hovers over, very closely, a table filled with drug paraphernalia, in a very Dario Argento like fashion. Take note the camera is continuously moving from left to right throughout the shot. The table is completely black and so is the background. Lines of cocaine on the table get chopped up an scooped in a line, then the camera moves over open syringe cases next a bottle of pills, and slowly moving up to the top of a hookah. The camera then dives into a pile of rubber rope, gliding down along the rope it comes back up to find a pair of glasses. A hand reaches over the table from the other end and picks them up. The camera now moves past the glasses and tracks across a very prominent looking bowel. The camera now sees more bottles of pills and pans to the right of them following these long and elaborate syringes. The shot fades out upon reaching the syringes.

INT. MILES ROOM - 12:30

Looking at an empty wall the camera moves in fast and stops as Miles picks his head up with cocaine sprinkled under his nose. The sound of an airplane follows this camera motion. O’Jays, Love Train plays in the background. Miles is fucked up. The camera moves at rapid speed, almost as though it’s as coked up and paranoid as Miles.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the point of all this is. Sure, I understand its underdeveloped, but I can sense no plot forming (unless the plot is Miles' various adventures with drugs throughout the ages, which could work). Like others have commented in your other threads, you're skilled at setting the mood, and in this you paint a particularly vivid image of what's happening.

Have you ever finished any of the scripts you post here? You've posted quite a few of them, and I doubt that you've been able to complete all of them. Why not finish one of them?

I’m also confused about your point - what you are asking for.

You aren’t writing a script, you are describing what the final
movie you might or might not direct will look like on the screen.
I’m not saying that’s a bad thing, I’m saying I don’t know what
you would like from the people you are showing this to.

I’m keeping in mind that it’s HIGHLY under developed.

Do you want us to give you scenes that will further develop the
character? Do you want ideas on camera angles or music to include?
Do you want us to create more characters for your story? And you
ask about theme. Are you asking if some of us can tell you the
theme of your story? You say you are looking for things to add.
Camera angles? Shots? Scenes?

I really don’t understand.

It’s not poor writing at all. Like most of what you’ve posted it’s
highly derivative of the work of others. You don’t seem to have
your own voice or style yet. Even though you are much more
interested in directing and camera work than you are in telling a
story, it’s pretty good overall; for a finished project. As a
scripts it’s pretty bad.

Well look at Martin Scorsese's work. He said (jokingly of course) the only movie he ever made with a plot was The Departed. And I did finish the zombie one but I was just kinda having fun with it and trashed it. Jean-Luc Godard's Breathless has little active plot going on as well. I don't like a story to be the story, I like the story to be the character. It might be different for better or for worse. I mean look at Abel Ferrera's Bad Lieutenant! It has the same sort of meanderings, to me a movie that can wonder is more organic than a movie that becomes its structure.

I was just looking for ideas, anything that could be interesting to add in a 1950's drug dealer's first person flick. Like a character that could come in. The addition of a brother? Themes of emptiness in drug abuse and how to apply them? Criticisms about what I'm doing incorrectly. I'm not completely sure what I'm doing wrong but I know it's there.

Well look at Martin Scorsese's work. He said (jokingly of course) the only movie he ever made with a plot was The Departed. And I did finish the zombie one but I was just kinda having fun with it and trashed it. Jean-Luc Godard's Breathless has little active plot going on as well. I don't like a story to be the story, I like the story to be the character. It might be different for better or for worse. I mean look at Abel Ferrera's Bad Lieutenant! It has the same sort of meanderings, to me a movie that can wonder is more organic than a movie that becomes its structure.
Oh, certainly. I'm only new to filmmaking, not to writing, and my short stories are mostly philosophical or metafictional ruminations on reality, so I understand the desire to have a relatively "plotless" film (though of course there is still a plot, it's just more implicit and subjective). That said, your character still has to do something, or at least interact with his environment, or else you don't really get any development. For most people, that "doing something" is typically the plot. You know, the boring Freytag's Pyramid crap. I certainly agree with your last point. Religious adherence to structure takes the art out of film.

EDIT:

I was just looking for ideas, anything that could be interesting to add in a 1950's drug dealer's first person flick. Like a character that could come in. The addition of a brother? Themes of emptiness in drug abuse and how to apply them? Criticisms about what I'm doing incorrectly. I'm not completely sure what I'm doing wrong but I know it's there.
Well, since you've already moved the time of the script to the 60's, I would focus on the fact that he lives his entire life in a more or less opium-fueled blur and explore the 50's, 60's, and 70's (generally idealistic, "bright" points in American history) through the dark lens of heroin addiction and Miles' own dark beliefs. Make him world-weary from a young age, and cynical or pessimistic about pretty much everything. Add characters that make his life worse, that make him turn to heroin more, and generally be a giant dick to him, so that we may begin to see him in a more sympathetic light.

Last edited:
Thanks man! That's like just what I was looking for an I totally dig what your sayin' about art. I think the most intimate moments you can share in characterization is when the character is in their down time. I was kinda going on that for some of those sequences, but yeah something does need to happen or else it's hardly even a movie. It just becomes dull and uninteresting. Thanks a bunch bro

How about..
Miles meets Judy.
Miles falls in love with Judy.
Judy disappears...

Miles pulls his life together
Gets a good job, has a wife, maybe a kid..
Goes to church on sunday

Bam, 1962....

Judy knocks on the door...
...it was too good to last..

I think you can nail Miles feet to the floor and let the ghosts of drug films past kind of ho hum familiar scenery around him, or you can show story that makes Miles the different junkie we want to watch.

Here are some notes:

Church -‘Vegas Night’- Miles jumps to his feet with a pistol

MILES
Bingo!

FREEZE - SUPER IMPOSE: "Catholic!"

Front porch- A WOMAN opens the door to Miles holding a roll of orange tickets.
He motions behind him to down the block where A KID sells lemonade. Miles smiles.

FREEZE - SUPER IMPOSE: "Virgo!"

Miles balances a reel to reel tape player on his shoulder as he climbs out a 2nd floor window.

FREEZE – SUPER IMPOSE: "Junkie!"

In a confined non descript space-

Miles lays before his kit just coming out of a nod.
He sits up and looks around confused.

MILES
Where the-

CUT TO:

Miles crashes through the ceiling of a dark public bathroom.

MILES
Oh yeah.

He gets to his feet, tip toes over to the door and peeks out.

Night- Miles quickly wheels a last shelf of library books onto a packed moving truck.

Day- NUNS and EXCITED KIDS unload the truck.
Miles shakes his head at A SKETCHY PRIEST who holds a check book.

MILES
In-your-dreams!

CLICK– A Nun holds a gun to the back of Miles head.

MILES
A check will be fine.

Day- The door swings in on a dingy empty studio apartment. Miles looks in and recoils from the smell.
THE LANDLADY stands in the hall, a cigarette dangles from her mouth.

LANDLADY
Take it or leave it, I ain’t got all day.

MILES
Where’s the pool?

LANDLADY
Funny!

Nght- Miles apartment- Miles sits at an easel and paints.

Day in the window- He paints
Night in the window- He paints
Fireworks in the window- He paints
Snow in the window- He paints

Night- Miles pulls a syringe from his arm.
A CROWD is heard ON TV

CROWD ON TV
“Three, Two, One! Happy New Year!”

Miles head falls on his chest as AULD LANG SYNE plays.

Day- Miles carefully places the final touches on his masterpiece.
He reveals it to be a rendering of Jesus as the Mona Lisa, painstakingly painted in heroin.

Night- A smaller frame rests on top of the painting.
Miles cuts around it carefully collecting the precious extra heroin smeared canvas.

MILES
Shit, this'll last forever!

Day- Miles sits on the bathroom floor barefoot, pale face and dope sick.
From the front door: KNOCK-KNOCK! KNOCK-KNOCK! KNOCK!

LANDLADY (OS)
I want the rent you junkie piece of shit!

Miles lays his head down and looks at the painting, the Mona Jesus starts talking to him.
The painting tries to convince him to cut more off of it, and get high.

MILES
Fuck that, it's time I kicked -for good
-for real! I mean it this time!

BEAT

MILES
Fuck!!!

CUT TO:

Spoon cook! - Syringe draw!- Needle squirt!

Miles sits against the tub. He pulls a needle from his arm.

MILES
Thank you Jesu-

He nods off

-Thanks-

Last edited:
If you are looking for ideas as to HOW to create a proper plot, I can try to help you.

Miles is you main character.

What is his dream? to be crime lord, to rise above the game,to be normal, to be famous, to be infamous?

What is his nightmare? getting killed, getting robbed, ODing, going to jail, isolation, not being liked?

Who is his opposite? Father, Brother, Cop, judge, rival hustler, teacher?

What is the big obstacle? Addiction, getting robbed, losing money/drugs, getting shot, rising above his situation?

How does he achieve his dream?

What happens to him in the end?

These are some of the questions you must ask yourself before you can sucessfully write a cohesive plot. Remember a film must revolve around a believable character, who has a clear and defined need, and a clear and defined opposition.

And it may seem that Scorsese doesn't have plots but the plot is there I promise you.

Good luck, I like the crime genre so I would like to see this developed into a full complete story.

Casey

Back