• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Need Subtitle Tips/Examples/Guide On entering [sound], [echo] etc

I need some sort of guide or tips/links for entering background sound type of entries in subtitling:

[would I be using like [eerie music], [whispering] etc for the background music or sounds?

What's the common practice please?

I need some sort of guide or tips/links for entering background sound type of entries in subtitling:

[would I be using like [eerie music], [whispering] etc for the background music or sounds?

What's the common practice please?

Lots of subtitles do that, but it's not essential unless a background sound is important to the story. It always makes me laugh when a subtitler characterises some wonderful bit of orchestration as nothing more than "eerie music" or "atmospheric music" :lol:

Lots of subtitles do that, but it's not essential unless a background sound is important to the story. It always makes me laugh when a subtitler characterises some wonderful bit of orchestration as nothing more than "eerie music" or "atmospheric music" :lol:

Thank you maz.
I have read similar comments saying it is not essential.
I believe it is important to the story so I intend to do so

Wrongola.

Many people with hearing impairments watch subtitled (foreign) films BECAUSE they are subtitled. For that reason, wise filmmakers will ensure the music and background sound is subtitled.

Less than wise filmmakers will just laugh at the notion.

Thank you GuerillaAngel,
I think I have enjoyed more of closed captioned movies than just a subtitled ones without a sound cue.

And I believe it may add value so I'll add the sound cues where important. therefore thank you again that you think like I do.

Thank you GuerillaAngel,
I think I have enjoyed more of closed captioned movies than just a subtitled ones without a sound cue.

And I believe it may add value so I'll add the sound cues where important. therefore thank you again that you think like I do.

You're welcome.

BTW, in this multi-tasking wired world, with subtitles, you can watch TV with the sound off while you do other stuff. :)

Back