• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

need some ideas (urgent) !!!

Hi everyone, we are couple of people that making a short movie. The movie is about a person who is making a coffee and in course of making that coffee everyones life changes dramatically. I need some ideas so whatever comes into your mind (even though you think its stupid) just write it down. Movie is going to be about 5 min. so just think about what can happen that would change everyones life while making a cup of coffee??? Thx.

Is this for a 48hr project? Why the rush?

* Have you seen Bucket List? There's a coffee idea...

* Hot coffee is spilled or thrown on someones face, and they are scarred for life.

* Caffeine speeds up time.

* Caffeinated and Decaffeinated people in a debate...argument...

* The world is going to end as soon as the pot is done brewing...

* The biggest Columbian coffee lord comes to America and gets a cup of coffee in a diner.

Stupid ideas...but I don't have much to work with, and that's a tough concept to work on. I'm trying to relate the coffee to the life changes...but it could be something totally unrelated.

Have you seen the film Coffee and Cigarettes? Wonderful group of short films.

making the PERFECT cup becomes a metaphor for love \ sex \ etc..

accidental murder, but looks like a plot, by mixing up the coffee creamer with rat poison..

Murder by coffee (same as above, but on purpose)

tiny aliens invade the earth, but drown in a sea of coffee.. bad math from the aliens NASA led to the mistake in scale.

humans invade another planet but drown in a sea of coffee.. bad math from NASA led to the mistake of scale..

Good ideas so far.

An outline of Jesus in the coffee-ground filter after brewing causes a worldwide sensation.

They find a human finger in the coffee bag with a large diamond ring on it...

A haunted espresso machine talks in gutter-language Italian straight from The Sopranos... "Hey, fuck you, Goomba! What, you a fanook, ya pinkie-raisin' sack o' Folgers sippin' wop?"

Cheers!

-C

When I heard coffee, I automatically thought of the espresso scene from Mulholland Drive and then switched over to the Twin Peaks, "There's a fish...in the perculator."

Though some other ideas:

A highly addicted to caffiene person waiting in line goes on a rampage because the coffee wasn't already made and he had to wait.

While waiting for a their morning cup of joe at the local coffee shop, a get-away car driven by robbers who just robbed the bank down the street smashes into the front window/door because the driver was shot ending up injuring/killing some/all the patrons/workers

The coffee shop owner's pet accidentally tips over the display of decanters, knocking over the last fresh batch of coffee. The pet then has a sneezing fit around the open bag of fresh beans and everywhere else. Whiel the next batch of coffee is being brewed, everyone turns into zombies because of an unnoticed illness the pet has.

INT. JOHN'S KITCHEN -- MORNING

JOHN, middle-aged and balding, walks in his kitchen and brews a pot of coffee, looking out his window to see JUAN, and handsome and shirtless gardener half his age. VAL enters the kitchen, with a despondent look on her face.

VAL
(melancholy)
Hey.

JOHN
What's wrong?

Val doesn't answer, just looking down at the floor. John moves in for an embrace. Val pushes off.

VAL
John. Don't. Not now.

JOHN
Is there something I...

VAL
I'm pregnant.

JOHN
(awkward pause, feigning happiness)
Sweety, that's great. Sure, it's a little earlier than we planned, but we can make this work. I don't have to finish my masters' degree this year. I'll just have to pick up a second job, maybe we search for a...

VAL
(impatiently)
It's not yours.

JOHN
(downtrodden)
I thought you said you stopped seeing James last year.

VAL
I did stop seeing James last year. Except for once. But it's not his.

JOHN
What?! Who else have you been fucking?

Juan enters the kitchen.

JUAN
Miss, agua por favor?

Val scrunches her face in guilty admission, motioning towards Juan. John doesn't understand her implication at first.

JOHN
What?
(delayed reaction)
Juan? Are you kidding me?!

Val steps closer to Juan, to wrap her arms around his torso. Juan reacts uncomfortably, looking over his shoulder at John.

VAL
He's my soulmate. We're gonna move in together.

JOHN
(double-take)
You don't even speak the same language!

VAL
We both speak the language of love. I've already packed my bags. You're just going to have to learn to deal with this.

Val grabs Juan by the hand, and leads him to the other room. John steps to the doorway between the kitchen and living room to watch Val drag Juan towards the other side of the living room, where 4 large suitcases are waiting. Juan picks up the suitcases, while Val picks up a lamp beside them.

JOHN
That's my grandma's lamp.

VAL
Was your grandma's lamp.

The doorbell rings.

EXT. JOHN'S DOORSTEP -- CONTINUOUS

A small TV crew is standing on John's front doorstep. SMILES, a local TV celebrity stands front and center, sharply dressed in a nice suit, holding a gigantic check in front of him. John answers the door.

SMILES
Good afternoon, sir. Are you John Aldridge Matthews?

JOHN
Um, yeah, I am.

SMILES
Mr. Matthews, it is my pleasure, on behalf of the Publishing Wholesale House to inform you that you are the grand-prize winner of our annual sweepstakes!
(turns to mug camera, saddles up next to John)
You just won ten million dollars! How do you feel, right now?

Val enters the doorway, to stand at John's side, carressing his shoulders. John barely has time to soak this all in, before a black Porche comes racing around the corner, past John's house. Right behind it, an entire squad of police cars make chase. Overhead, both police and news choppers follow the action. Careening out of control at the end of the block, the Porche slams into a hedge of bushes.

The police cars all screech to a halt, surrounding the Porche, police officers drawing weapons and aiming at the Porche. The driver's door opens, but nobody appears, at first. Finally, slowly, SARAH, a beautiful middle-aged woman, emerges, being forced out of the car. Behind her, HOODLUM keeps hold of her with his arm around her neck, holding a gun to her head.

CHIEF
(yelling)
Put the gun down, now!

JOHN
(brushing off Val)
Holy shit, that's Sarah.

John makes a b-line towards Hoodlum and Sarah.

HOODLUM
(to police)
Back off. I'll shoot this bitch right here.

CHIEF
You know we can't do that. Listen, this will all end better if you give yourself up right now.

John walks nonchalantly through all of the police, towards Sarah.

OFFICER
Sir, you can't go over there. Stop, right now.

John continues walking, past all of the police officers, stopping halfway between the police and Hoodlum & Sarah.

SARAH
(surprised)
John?

HOODLUM
Who the fuck is this?

CHIEF
(to John)
Sir, I need you to back off; let us do our job.

JOHN
Sarah, how come you never returned my calls?

SARAH
What?! You think any of that was easy for me? I cried myself to sleep every night, for half a year. I didn't have a choice.

HOODLUM
(to Sarah)
Shut up, bitch!
(to Chief)
I want a helicopter here, right now! And a million dollars in unmarked bills!

JOHN
Sarah, you know that's not true. You didn't have to move to New York.

SARAH
Excuse me?! Why do act like everything was so simple? And it's not like you didn't have other options, either.

CHIEF
We've got snipers in position. You've got five minutes to comply.

JOHN
(to Sarah)
I know. Not a single day passes that I don't regret it. I miss you.

SARAH
I miss you, too.

HOODLUM
(to Sarah)
God Dammit, bitch, I'm gonna shoot you in the face, right now!

JOHN
(to Hoodlum)
If you call her bitch one more time, I'm gonna...

HOODLUM
Biiiiiitch! Bitch, bitch, bitch, biaaatch! What? What are you gonna do?

John angrily marches in Hoodlum's direction.

CHIEF
Sir, stand down. Now!

HOODLUM
(mockingly)
Ooh, tough-guy's gonna do somethin.

Hoodlum moves the gun to point it at John's head. With Jason Bourne efficiency, John moves his head to the side, to narrowly avoid the gunshot, as Hoodlum pulls the trigger. Snatching the gun from Hoodlum's hand, John throws it to the ground, before striking Hoodlum squarely in the face, practically knocking him out in one punch. Standing over Hoodlum, John watches for a moment to make sure the battle is over. As police swarm around him, to apprehend and cuff a barely concious Hoodlum, John looks up to meet eyes with Sarah. Without hesitation, they both move in for an extended, passionate kiss.

By the time Sarah and John finish their long-overdue kiss, Smiles is on the scene, with his camera crew behind him.

SMILES
Surprise multi-millionaire John Matthews, turned crime-stopping hero on national TV. John, can you describe your feelings to us?

John puts his arm around Sarah's shoulder and leads her back towards his house, pushing through Smiles and his camera crew. With the camera on them, John smiles as he squeezes Sarah, kissing her on her cheek. Sarah giggles, then kisses John on his cheek.

INT. JOHN'S KITCHEN -- MOMENTS LATER

John and Sarah enter the kitchen, as the bell rings on the coffee machine, to signify that it's finished brewing. John grabs two mugs out of the cupboard and begins pouring.

JOHN
You still like your coffee black?

SARAH
Yeah, thanks.

John hands her a cup of coffee. She sniffs it before taking the first sip.

SARAH
I see your exquisite tastes haven't changed one bit.
(takes another sip)
Wow, what an eventful day.

Sarah looks up from her coffee, to see John standing motionless, jaw fully dropped to the floor, looking over her shoulder, in clear astonishment.

SARAH
What? What's up?

Sarah looks over her shoulder to see outside John's rear window, a UFO parked in John's back yard. A little green man stands by the window, looking in at John and Sarah, with a cartoonish smile on his face, holding the peace-sign with his hand.

Last edited:
Good one Cracker Funk. Your actions are short. I could learn a thing or two. My screenplay that I wrote has alot of action and I really wanted it dialogue driven.

Back