need help with microphones

So i dont know much about microphones so im hoping some one hear can help me =). Im looking 1 microphone that can help me in 2 ways. Im not sure if their is such thing but im looking for a microphone that i would be good to attach to a boom when im filming but also can be used to do vocals for recording music. If their is one mic that would be able to do both functions post some sugestions on witch one to get. Also keep in mind low budget.

Please, please, please, please, please use the search function and check out the dozens of posts that I have made on this exact topic. Then, if you have additional questions, ask them, but please give us a very specific budget.

BTW, mics that do both music and production sound, and do it well, will be pricey from your point of view.

Hey,
I encourage looking around the forum, as Alcove said there are dozens of threads about this, but I'll try to help you with your question anyway. Also as Alcove said, recording music and film are 2 different things entirely, different types of mics and getting one that would do both would probably be pretty pricey. I use a OM2 mic with a Tascam Recorder for music (combined cost for vocals alone, about 300), and that achieves the best sound I've had yet. For film I use a Rode VideoMic, which is about 150, and it's the best consumer mic I've ever used.

Most mics will attach to poles though.. but judging by your budget (which I'm guessing is small), I'd suggest buying a shotgun mic. In case you don't know, its a boom mic that attaches to the top of your camera. Boom poles can be a huge pain and I wouldn't suggest it unless you have a larger budget and are VERY serious.

I'm not sure what your price range is, but I'm almost positive you won't find a mic that records decent vocals + film. Pick one lol

Hey,
I encourage looking around the forum, as Alcove said there are dozens of threads about this, but I'll try to help you with your question anyway. Also as Alcove said, recording music and film are 2 different things entirely, different types of mics and getting one that would do both would probably be pretty pricey. I use a OM2 mic with a Tascam Recorder for music (combined cost for vocals alone, about 300), and that achieves the best sound I've had yet. For film I use a Rode VideoMic, which is about 150, and it's the best consumer mic I've ever used.

Most mics will attach to poles though.. but judging by your budget (which I'm guessing is small), I'd suggest buying a shotgun mic. In case you don't know, its a boom mic that attaches to the top of your camera. Boom poles can be a huge pain and I wouldn't suggest it unless you have a larger budget and are VERY serious.

I'm not sure what your price range is, but I'm almost positive you won't find a mic that records decent vocals + film. Pick one lol

sorry for the late responce but....Alright lol im just going to stick with video for now. lol what do you think if i stuck a zoomh1 or zoom h4 on top of my camera would sound be good?

sorry for the late responce but....Alright lol im just going to stick with video for now. lol what do you think if i stuck a zoomh1 or zoom h4 on top of my camera would sound be good?
It will not be a noticeable difference. You have to get the mic off of the camera and onto a boom-pole, hopefully wielded by someone who has a clue as to what need to be done.

Not really. They are recorders aimed at musicians. Yes, they have mics on them, but it is meant to be placed in front of a band to record rehearsals, or to capture the odd sound effect or ambience. Also, if it's on the end of a boom-pole, how will you monitor the audio levels? Are you going to be 100% sure that it is running once it's "out of sight" so to speak.

People have done it, but it becomes a nightmare in audio post; I know, I've had to fix such audio disasters.

Not really. They are recorders aimed at musicians. Yes, they have mics on them, but it is meant to be placed in front of a band to record rehearsals, or to capture the odd sound effect or ambience. Also, if it's on the end of a boom-pole, how will you monitor the audio levels? Are you going to be 100% sure that it is running once it's "out of sight" so to speak.

People have done it, but it becomes a nightmare in audio post; I know, I've had to fix such audio disasters.

True...so im just looking for cheap with good quality around 100-120 price range what do you sugest?

Back