• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Need help with film idea

Hi there! I'm currently writing a story for a school project where I would need to make a 15 min film. I've met the wall at the moment and can't think of anything interesting while writing this story and I am not sure how to move forward so I was hoping anyone here would be able to help me. Anyways here is the story so far.

EDIT: New aproach to the story on the 4th post. Read that one instead please :)

The story is about Daniel, a 25 year old boy. Every since he was a kid he has failed in pretty much everything he has tried to do both in academics and sports. This has led him to believe deep down inside that he is worthless and that he doesn't belong in this world. The only one that has been there for him in his life is his childhood friend Helena, the typical girl next door type of girl. Since she has been there for him when he needed it the most she has become the "light" in his life in which he has developed feelings for, but doesn't do anything about those said feelings. One day Helena gets attacked by a group of thugs and in the heat of the moment Daniel goes into a rage and fights back these thugs to protect his friend. This leads to him discovering another side of him that he has never known before. For the first time in his life he has felt that he can do something right, and the feeling of power at that moment makes him start his journey to once again to find the place where he belongs, even if he has to cut off all connections with Helena.

Now my question is if anyone of you creative minds out there could help me portray the world that Daniel pursues and want to be a part of. I was thinking of a big criminal underground organization type of thing to begin with, but that would be too big for a 15 min film (Already now I kinda feel like its kinda big). Well I hope any of you could help me out with this and I would be forever in your debt. Thank you in advance

Last edited:
Sounds kind of like "Never Back Down" with Sean Faris. Perhaps just follow it to the extreme case as you suggested. He gets more into boxing, MMA, street fighting and finds it distances him from her. The things that made him likeable and appealing in his gentleness in the beginning fall away. It could explode when he asks her to the dance and she declines. He gets angry, and plots to attack her date which turns out to be a nerdy guy. He starts beating on him and suddenly flashes back to a similar experience (perhaps an opening shot of him being bullied). He stops and walks away. As the girl cares for her date.

Let him become a 'superhero' fighting crime at night :) an/or defending the defenseless.
(Maybe one of the neighbours is beating his wife/kids)

He finally has the guts to ask Helena for a drink, but when he sees a robbery going on he jumps right in.

You don't need big criminal organisations :)
And maybe he doesn't want to be evil. Maybe he wants to do good with his berserker skills.

Thank you both for your feedback! I've changed the backstory of the characters up a bit so I was hoping you could give me some thoughts on this new version instead. Here goes

Daniel, a 25 year old boy has lived most of his life alone. His parents died from a car accident at a young age so he has early had to learn how to fend for himself. What Daniel has always wanted was to find a place where he belongs...a family. The only one that has been there for him in his life is his childhood friend Helena, the typical girl next door type of girl. Since she has been there for him when he needed it the most he has started to develope feelings for her. One day his long lost brother shows up again in his life with an offer of the family that he has always wanted, but that puts him in a dilemme where he has to choose between Helena and his brother as the two can't co exsist in their respective worlds.

My new question that I'm stuck with is who is this brother? Where have he been and what is this universe that he lives in and what can he offer Daniel. Of course it doesn't have to be a brother, but I was thinking that a relation to Daniel gives him a much bigger dilemma in his journey and makes it more exciting. Could be a sister, an uncle or whatever actually. Just not sure who that character should be for now. The thing I wanna tell is that blood is not always thicker than water. Thanks again in advance for taking your time folks :)

Last edited:
Back