Need help with editing info. Still fairly new to this.

So after two years of waiting and saving and frustration I finally got my XF100 and everything I need to shoot. Now, I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and upgrade my editing software. This is where I am not on par. I've been using a consumer grade editor (Movie edit pro 16 plus) for two years now, and since I've gotten the XF100, editing has been a big pain in the ass. I've been having to convert the MXF files to Mpeg files and the footage still stutters and skips, that's after I bought a 30.00 program that converts the MXF files to be compatible with my current soft ware. When I do get the files transferred, not only does it skip, but the footage looks way more grainy then it did on the monitor. Possibly because of compression from the conversion? I don't know. I'm completely lostand bummed and need some advice.

My computer is new. A quad core with 8gb ram/750gb harddrive. It has to be my low end NLE software. So, Question is, can anyone fill me in on Edius 6? I've heard great things. I'm just looking for basic editing. Not doing anything with special effects and I've heard for the basics, Edius is fantastic. I'm so sick and frustrated not being able to edit my footage. Any pointers on why my footage is acting up and what I could try to fix this would be greatly appriciated. Thanks in advance.

For basic editing, you don't even need the full Edius 6. They've got a version that sells for less than $100. I always forget what they call it, but I've used it, and it's a nice piece of software.

EDIT: Edius Neo is the name I was looking for, and I might've been wrong about it being less than $100.

For inexpensive software, I also think Sony is a great way to go. Solid editing at less than $100.

If you're gonna spend money, personally, I recommend Premiere. I love it.

I've actually look into Edius neo and a few others. It seems that none of them support MXF files. Edius 6 is the only one I have looked up that has the least (Or at least that what users have said) compatibility problems. Even with neo it seems that converting is neccessary. I have had a few more users recommend CS5 with minimal problems. But I have had so many crashes I'm afraid if I buy a program that still crashes I'm gonna crash! haha. One thing I have yet to try is filming at a lower bit rate. Although I dont want to lose quality. UURRRGGGHHH!

Back