• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

need help on proper way to write about character played by several actors

I have a script where a character has to disguise himself on several scenes but in a way to keep the budget low and after watching Robert Rodriguez Machete Kills a few days ago, i had the idea to use different actors for each "disguise".
A while ago i thought of that very same idea but i discarded it thinking it would look stupid but now after watching the character "El/La Camaleon" i decided it could really work, since the script is for a short that already pays homage to both Tarantino and Rodriguez.

But now my question is, how do i put it on the script ? it's 4 different scenes, the first one where the character isn't "disguised" and all the others where he is! And on each he will be played by a different person.

Should i write in the script the way he looks before each scene ?! Should i state that he is the same character in disguise?

Ex. "Mike now disguised as an elderly black man is sitting on a bus stop reading a book"
or
"An elderly black man is sitting on a bus stop reading a book"

These are just two quick and lame examples.

I hope you guys can help me :)

Is there a "ritual" of transformation? Does he steal appearances or just changes as Mystique ? Actually take a look at Xmen script and see how they handle it.

Do you want the audience to know it is the same character?

yes i want the audience to know it's the same character. Well he doesn't steal appearances or turns into anyone, it's as if he is wearing masks and disguises BUT instead it's just another actor who plays that part get it ? So the "transformation" as to be off screen.

So that audiences can understand, i added a small scene earlier in the short movie where it's possible to see silicone masks, make up, wigs and all that sort of stuff in his room.

My problem is that i don't know how to introduce each disguise in the three different scenes. Imagine that is name is Tom and there's a scene where he enters a bar disguised as a long haired biker. should i write "Tom enters a sleazy small bar disguised as a biker..." ?

If you still don't understand my point go and google the character El Camaleon from "Machete kills". *Spoiler alert* Antonio banderas, Lady gaga, Cuba Gooding jr...they all play the same character BUT everytime he changes "costume" he's seen onscreen pulling the current actor's face off as if it was a mask. I of course don't have the budget or sfx skill to do that so it has to remain off screen.

yes i want the audience to know it's the same character. Well he doesn't steal appearances or turns into anyone, it's as if he is wearing masks and disguises BUT instead it's just another actor who plays that part get it ? So the "transformation" as to be off screen.

So that audiences can understand, i added a small scene earlier in the short movie where it's possible to see silicone masks, make up, wigs and all that sort of stuff in his room.

My problem is that i don't know how to introduce each disguise in the three different scenes. Imagine that is name is Tom and there's a scene where he enters a bar disguised as a long haired biker. should i write "Tom enters a sleazy small bar disguised as a biker..." ?

If you still don't understand my point go and google the character El Camaleon from "Machete kills". *Spoiler alert* Antonio banderas, Lady gaga, Cuba Gooding jr...they all play the same character BUT everytime he changes "costume" he's seen onscreen pulling the current actor's face off as if it was a mask. I of course don't have the budget or sfx skill to do that so it has to remain off screen.

But I don't get the point . I mean people will know it's just another actor. Just keep the costumes affordable and within your budget .

Yes people will know that's another actor but i actually think it fits what im trying to do. If in the future i changed my mind, then im back on ebay buying crepe hair, make up and all that sh*t but until then i think this can work.

I have a script where a character has to disguise himself on several scenes but in a way to keep the budget low and after watching Robert Rodriguez Machete Kills a few days ago, i had the idea to use different actors for each "disguise".
Okay, you have two different issues here; one is how to write the
disguises in a way the reader will understand the second is how the
film will be cast.

Unless you are producing and directing you will have no say on how
the movie is cast. Even though you want to mimic Rodriguez you
will not have that option as the screenwriter.

Your first choice is fine. You're a writer, I'm sure you can come up
with something a little more creative, but you have it right; you
need to mention “Mike” and how he now looks.

Okay, you have two different issues here; one is how to write the
disguises in a way the reader will understand the second is how the
film will be cast.

Unless you are producing and directing you will have no say on how
the movie is cast. Even though you want to mimic Rodriguez you
will not have that option as the screenwriter.

Your first choice is fine. You're a writer, I'm sure you can come up
with something a little more creative, but you have it right; you
need to mention “Mike” and how he now looks.

I forgot to add that this screenplay im writing is hopefully for me to direct/produce.

Thank you for you're input (and everyone else's"). So in each scene i have to state that a particular character is "Mike" in disguise, i get it.

Like i said before, i've been writing this script as an homage to both Tarantino and Rodriguez so the short as some Tarantino-like dialogue mixed with stuff usually present in Rodriguez movies.

I read dozens of scripts that pay homage to Tarantino and Rodriguez. People
here in the states are really tired Tarantino/Rodriguez homages. In Portugal
are Tarantino/Rodriguez homages still considered cool? Here in the states
everyone is sick of them.

Im not doing anything because it's cool, im writing it because it's my desire to do so, just like all the other scripts im also writing at the moment for different genres. I don't care if anyone wants to read them or think they're cool, although it's good to hear other people praise you're work i think that when someone does something he likes, that he's doing it for himself and not to please anyone. Im doing it because i feel the need to :)

And although it's an homage to them, i believe that my story can stand out on his own and if it all goes as expected, people are gonna hear more of this characters.

Last edited:
And although it's an homage to them, i believe that my story can stand out on his own and if it all goes as expected, people are gonna hear more of this characters.

Very good! It's too bad you're using some Tarantino-like dialogue
mixed with stuff usually present in Rodriguez movies rather than
being truly original and doing your own thing. Good luck with your
film!

How is the indie world in Portugal? Lot's of movies being made?

Very good! It's too bad you're using some Tarantino-like dialogue
mixed with stuff usually present in Rodriguez movies rather than
being truly original and doing your own thing. Good luck with your
film!

How is the indie world in Portugal? Lot's of movies being made?

unfortunately unless im highly unaware , i think that portugal is a bit of a dead end in artistic terms, whether you're a musician, a director, an actor or whatever there's not much you can do here.

shorts also get little to no support, some of them end up being broadcasted on tv but it's rare and always on the more "alternative" channels.

Also, i'm trying to be more original and true to myself on other scripts i'm writing. But most of the dialogues i write seem to drag way too long and at least to me they're a bit reminiscent of tarantino's dialogues hence why i decided to do a RR/Quentin homage in the first place.

I'm also using this to gain experience on both writing and directing instead of starting with a more "personal" short and risk messing it. A short like this one is fun and it gives a bit more room to maneuver due to the cheesiness and over the top scenes sometimes present in their movies.

Guys help me out with a couple of more questions, Do/should i copyright my script after im done with it ?

Given the fact that my script is an homage to Tarantino and Rodriguez like i sad several times before, am i allowed to reference the book MODESTY BLAISE ? (The one vincent vega reads in Pulp fiction)

The reference would be something like "You should try reading Modesty Blaise".

Also, can i reference tarantino's trademark cigars RED APPLES and rodriguez trademark beer CHANGO throughout the script and then actually show them in the short ?

Does a script containing this 3 tiny references is allowed to be copyrighted by me ?

i posted a bit of my script here , feedback needed. http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?p=345463#post345463

Last edited:
Back