• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Need criticism, but...

I let friends/family read my script and they say it’s great, but we all know what that’s worth. I want to let people who “know” what they are talking about read it, but I guess I’m too paranoid that someone will steal my idea or just a line. I’ve already experienced this with one scene that I shared.
I don’t have any real close friends that know enough about screen writing that I can trust. Am I the only one who feels this way? I want good feedback/criticism.

Nope...

Lenny said:
I let friends/family read my script and they say it’s great, but we all know what that’s worth. I want to let people who “know” what they are talking about read it, but I guess I’m too paranoid that someone will steal my idea or just a line. I’ve already experienced this with one scene that I shared.
I don’t have any real close friends that know enough about screen writing that I can trust. Am I the only one who feels this way? I want good feedback/criticism.
You're definitely NOT the only one that feels this way and to a certain degree, I don't blame you... What you ALWAYS want to do BEFORE showing even a friend, is to send in a copyright application and register with the WGA...

The next thing to do is keep a SCREENPLAY LOG. It doesn't have to be anything special... Just a piece of paper that you keep with a bound copy of your screenplay at all times LISTING everyone who you've given a copy to... List their name, production company (if any), date, time, how you made the contact, complete contact information, etc. Everything you can think of. When following up on the script, jot some of these notes down as well i.e., what they thought of it, suggestions, etc...

This also goes for any PDF files you may have sent via email...

The reason for all this paperwork is exactly that... TO LEAVE A PAPER TRAIL just in case you THINK someone might have liberated your story or parts of your story...

Unfortunately, the plain and simple fact of the matter is that everyone has ideas and you would be surprised at how many ideas each of us has that are in fact very similar... The trick is to EXECUTE the idea like a 1000% better than everyone else could ever do...

For instance, I have a screenwriting group that meets every Thursday night... Last February, a new guy joined the group and I had just completed an outline of the screenplay I just sold in September...

This new guy had the exact same title for his screenplay as I had for the one I just sold... Luckily, the title really had nothing to do with the subject matter of his screenplay unlike MINE which had EVERYTHING to do with it...

It can be scary but if you ever want any real beneficial feedback, you've gotta let it go... LOL.

One last word of advice... Try to find out a little bit about the people you give your screenplay to IF POSSIBLE. For instance, I had several prodcos ask for the script I sold and after I did a little research, I only ended up sending the script out to less than HALF of the production companies that requested it...

Good luck with it!

filmy

...first of all everyone feels a little paranoid about their idea, especially if it is a good one...

...secondly, don't blow off the fact that friends and family think its great. What are friends and family? They are ordinary people who go to the movies. If it doesn't work for them, it may not work for others. The best example of this that I've seen recently is the movie 'The Hulk'. All the CGI in the world did not stop that film from being boring....

...I have on occaision given critiques of some scripts on this board. I don't look at structure because there are many people here who know structure better than I. What I look for is whether or not the story works for me, if I am compelled to keep reading, if I begin to get caught up in the characters, because ultimately this is what makes or breaks whatever it is you are working on. Good structure+bad story= a well-structured, bad movie.

...the good news is there are LOTS of people who can help you here so keep looking around. FilmJumper is a good person to start with as far as structure goes...

--spinner :cool:

Lenny,

I know your predicament well! You should seek protection of your story, but there are some things you should know. I've been doing some research into it and if I got it correctly here are a few of the particulars:

First of all you CANNOT copyright a title, or even a concept or idea, unless the idea is expressed in (what .gov calls) a 'tangible medium' --> So what is a tangible medium. According to the copyright office it can be the following:

1). A fully written script.
2). A Treatment for a screenplay (basically a plot outline as I take it), or
3). A Synopsis (which is basically an even more skeletonised version of a Treatment or plot out-line)

The above information is rendered to the best of my ability and understanding of what I have read on various pages (anybody else got better or more detaile info, please jump in, or correct me where I may be mistaken)

Copyright securement is best gained by submitting a hard copy (ie words on paper) manuscript to the copyright office in Washington, DC, or request that office for a Form PA.

Some people register their works with the Writer's Guild, either 'West' (HQ'd in California) or 'East' (HQ'd in New York)--> being from TExas, I think WGA WEst is where you'd want to send it if you go that route. Now the WGA --again as I understand it-- cannot offer firm and complete protection as does the legal copyright, but they are a good start to get 'first rights' recognition for your story idea (ie. treatment, synopsis, or script--> they cover the same) and according to their websites the courts have been recognising the validity of WGA claimants.

This is basically what I've learned so far. I think both the copyright office and the WGA charge around $30 for services rendered so since the price is the same, you'd probably want to go ahead with the copyright office. If you can afford $60 this close to Christmas, then do both (the WGA first, and the copyright office second--?--not sure best route here).

Here's one other thing you can do. Share your story with someone having a similar problem. For example you could send me your script and I could send yoou my treatment . That way you have something of mine that is as much a value to me as your script is to you. If I were to steal your idea, you could steal mine to get me back. Well, actually I would'nt advise that. I don't know how we'd make the trade off, and besides you have no real way of knowing whether or not I've already secured protection--> so watch offers like that ; )

Best thing to do is part with the bucks and do it right. Hope this helps!

Regards,

kin0pic_studios

Thanks everyone. I’ve completed about 40 pages and I was wanting some feedback before I finished it. I guess the best thing to do is finish it, register it then show it around I guess. I feel pretty good about my dialogue but I think my structure could use some help. When I finish it we’ll see I guess.

Back