Need Advice from GH1 Users on Lens Selection

I'm shooting a documentary/instructional video on a shoestring budget and will use the GH1 and a GoPro Hero for my video. Audio will of course be handled off camera. I think I will need several lenses to cover all of my shooting. I will need an "interview" lens for 60 Minutes style interviews capable of shallow DOF and a focal length complimentary to the subject. I also will need a macro lens to shoot closeup, tripod shots of small digital displays in a vehicle. I also need a general use lens, for lack of a better term, for scenic shots and such. Panasonic lenses are very expensive so I've been looking at older canon FD lenses. I like the FD 35-105 macro lens. Can a macro lens be used as a normal lens for interviews? Since they're so cheap, I also plan on picking up a 50mm f1.4. Also, to use canon lenses on a GH1 I need an adapter. I know you have to double the focal length to get the 35mm equivalent when using a 4/3s camera, does the adapter make the correction more than double? What does it equate to? Any other ideas for good lenses to use on a tight budget?

My top suggestion would be to get a cheap Helios 44-2 lens. It's 58mm (so 116mm with the crop factor), and you can pick them up for less than $60 (I paid about $55 with shipping for mine). It's a great all-around lens. They're Soviet-made, but are supposed to be a knockoff of Leica lenses from the same era. I'm really happy with mine.

I've also got a 28mm JCPenney lens from the 70s(?) that's not too bad. It's got weird lens flare issues, but if you use a matte box (you can make a really ghetto one if you can't afford to buy one) it shouldn't be an issue.

This video is the raw footage I got with those two lenses: http://vimeo.com/27258714

The wider shots are the 28mm (some of the water, plus the shots in the woods) and the closer shots (most of the water shots) are the Helios (obviously).

I also have a Gh1. The only lens i have atm is a cannon fd 50mm 1.8 i love it besides for the fact its soo....un-wide? idk how to say it lol. I realy need to get a wide angle and ive seen that 28mm Jc penny lens for about 25 bucks and i think im going to get it. Champ what do you mean a weird lens flare issue? like bad to ruien a shot? also do they all have it or just yours?

I also have a Gh1. The only lens i have atm is a cannon fd 50mm 1.8 i love it besides for the fact its soo....un-wide? idk how to say it lol. I realy need to get a wide angle and ive seen that 28mm Jc penny lens for about 25 bucks and i think im going to get it. Champ what do you mean a weird lens flare issue? like bad to ruien a shot? also do they all have it or just yours?

As far as the lens flares go, they're really inconsistent for one (in super low light with a bright light source, like fireworks, it produces absolutely beautiful star-shaped lens flares (see this video for what I mean: http://vimeo.com/26299992), but with sunlight it sometimes produces boxy and angular lens flares). But if you use some kind of hood or matte box to prevent any direct light from actually hitting the lens, it's not an issue (like with any lens). And for $25, you'll find enough situations where it works fine that I wouldn't worry about it. That's about what I paid for mine.

Also what does this crop factor mean?

Crop is caused by differences in sensor sizes. When a lens says it has a 50mm focal length, it means it has a 50mm focal length with 35mm photography film (which is quite a bit larger than 35mm motion film, also equivalent to the sensor in the 5d MkII). A smaller sensor effectively multiplies the focal length. Most DSLRs have a 1.7x crop factor, but the GH1/GH2 has a 2x crop factor. So a 50mm lens on the GH1 produces an image that would be equivalent to a full frame (35mm still) camera with a 100mm lens. This is helpful when you want a zoomed-in effect, but not helpful when you're looking for a wide angle.

As far as the lens flares go, they're really inconsistent for one (in super low light with a bright light source, like fireworks, it produces absolutely beautiful star-shaped lens flares (see this video for what I mean: http://vimeo.com/26299992), but with sunlight it sometimes produces boxy and angular lens flares). But if you use some kind of hood or matte box to prevent any direct light from actually hitting the lens, it's not an issue (like with any lens). And for $25, you'll find enough situations where it works fine that I wouldn't worry about it. That's about what I paid for mine.

Crop is caused by differences in sensor sizes. When a lens says it has a 50mm focal length, it means it has a 50mm focal length with 35mm photography film (which is quite a bit larger than 35mm motion film, also equivalent to the sensor in the 5d MkII). A smaller sensor effectively multiplies the focal length. Most DSLRs have a 1.7x crop factor, but the GH1/GH2 has a 2x crop factor. So a 50mm lens on the GH1 produces an image that would be equivalent to a full frame (35mm still) camera with a 100mm lens. This is helpful when you want a zoomed-in effect, but not helpful when you're looking for a wide angle.

Ohh wow i was wondering why my 50mm felt soo zoomed in :P I really needa get me some wide lenses :lol:

As far as a budget lens goes, I absolutely love mine. You can get them for around $30 on ebay if you're willing to wait for it to ship from Ukraine or Russia. I wanted mine quicker so I paid around $50 for one that was already in the US. You might end up having to buy one that also comes with an old Zennit camera, though.

champ ive herd of things that attach to the lenses that make them wide angle and fisheye have you herd of them? or do you think id be better off just getting a wider lens?

Just get a wider lens. For fisheye they might not be too bad if you were already using a relatively wide lens to start with. But I'm guessing there's going to be a ton of distortion, especially when used for motion rather than still photography, unless you spend $$$$ on it (and then you might as well just get a wide lens).

And why do you keep calling me Champ? It's "cameronCHAPman". ;)

Just get a wider lens. For fisheye they might not be too bad if you were already using a relatively wide lens to start with. But I'm guessing there's going to be a ton of distortion, especially when used for motion rather than still photography, unless you spend $$$$ on it (and then you might as well just get a wide lens).

w00000000000000000000000w i feel retarded:lol: I dont know why but i kept thinking i saw "cameronCHAMPman" :lol: anyyyyy wayyy....

Have you herd of promaster lenses? are they any good?

I don't have any personal experience with them, but from what little I've heard they're decent for the price. I guess some Vivitar and Phoenix lenses are actually Promasters. But like I said, I have no personal experience.

My lens experience is pretty limited to a few vintage lenses, vintage and modern Nikons, and a little bit of Leica experience. Gotta say that Leica is my favorite. In fact, I'm saving up for this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/768816-REG/Panasonic_H_X025_Leica_DG_Summilux_25.html

I'd also like to try some Zeiss glass, but have yet to find a vintage or used lens in my price range at the moment. I also worry a little bit about how sharp and contrasty Zeiss lenses tend to be, considering the GH1 already has a tendency toward sharp/contrasty images.

I don't have any personal experience with them, but from what little I've heard they're decent for the price. I guess some Vivitar and Phoenix lenses are actually Promasters. But like I said, I have no personal experience.

My lens experience is pretty limited to a few vintage lenses, vintage and modern Nikons, and a little bit of Leica experience. Gotta say that Leica is my favorite. In fact, I'm saving up for this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/768816-REG/Panasonic_H_X025_Leica_DG_Summilux_25.html

I'd also like to try some Zeiss glass, but have yet to find a vintage or used lens in my price range at the moment. I also worry a little bit about how sharp and contrasty Zeiss lenses tend to be, considering the GH1 already has a tendency toward sharp/contrasty images.

Wow that lens looks really nice! I guess for 20 bucks i might as well try the promaster it says its in perfect condition. Also Im going to see if their is any vintage m 4/3 lenses so i dont have to worry about my fd adapter lol

I found this one..........if you scroll down on the page their is sample pictures

http://cgi.ebay.com/0-21X-WIDE-FISH...82123587?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item519a5ccb43

It doesnt look like theirs much distortion....But would it be the same for video?

Wow that lens looks really nice! I guess for 20 bucks i might as well try the promaster it says its in perfect condition. Also Im going to see if their is any vintage m 4/3 lenses so i dont have to worry about my fd adapter lol

You won't find vintage m4/3 lenses. The standard was established in 2008 by Panasonic and Olympus, and later adopted by Sony. But the adapters aren't a big deal. I've been sticking with M42 screwmount lenses, and the adapter isn't a big deal. Just adds a little bulk/weight to the front of the camera. I plan on picking up a Nikon adapter soon, as my dad has a couple of older Nikon lenses I'd have access to.

Back