National Film Registry

Loud Orange Cat

Pro Member
indiePRO
Recently, the National Film Registry added 25 more films to its list, including "Toy Story", "The French Connection", "Cool Hand Luke", "Miracle on 34th Street", "Rocky Horror Picture Show" and "Fast Times at Ridgemont High".

My question about this is: Does Spicoli and Mr. Hand qualify?

Don't get me wrong, Fast TImes is funny as hell, but aren't there more qualified films that should have made the list?

I believe the goal of the archive is to preserve movies that capture a certain social significance -- it is not meant to be a collection of the best quality films. Certainly Fast Times is not a technical masterpiece, but at its time it was quite socially relevant.

...I think that if you have a good coming of age film that reaches people, maybe it does qualify. A film that gets looked over often is a Spike Lee film called 'Crooklyn". I LOVE that film because some of it reminds me of when I was little. There aren't many coming of age films for African Americans the way that this one is and it is a personal favorite.

...Fast Times may not have been cinematic gold, but it spoke to alot of people and their goofy (our goofy) teen years, just as much as any John Hughes film did. (that's his name, right? Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink...I forget)

--spinner :cool:

mrde50 said:
Recently, the National Film Registry added 25 more films to its list, including "Toy Story", "The French Connection", "Cool Hand Luke", "Miracle on 34th Street", "Rocky Horror Picture Show" and "Fast Times at Ridgemont High".

My question about this is: Does Spicoli and Mr. Hand qualify?

Don't get me wrong, Fast TImes is funny as hell, but aren't there more qualified films that should have made the list?

Fast times was the first of Teen films from the 80s that set off a trend of films to follow like 16 candles, Pretty in pink, Breakfast club, St Elmos Fire and pretty much all other brat pack flicks. Maybe thats why it was added.

John@Bophe said:
I believe the goal of the archive is to preserve movies that capture a certain social significance -- it is not meant to be a collection of the best quality films. Certainly Fast Times is not a technical masterpiece, but at its time it was quite socially relevant.

or even a better way of putting it :)

John@Bophe said:
Thanks for the answer. Building on your statement, I fully expect to see Tatantino films on the next list... The social impact of Tarantino's style/existence/influence in Hollywood in his short career has been unprecedented in recent years.

mrde50 said:
Thanks for the answer. Building on your statement, I fully expect to see Tatantino films on the next list... The social impact of Tarantino's style/existence/influence in Hollywood in his short career has been unprecedented in recent years.

I would agree with you. Pulp Fiction seems like it would qualify, if not on the next list...then eventually, based on the social impact it made. I think Reservoir Dogs would be overlooked because it did not reach as many people and have such a strong impact on the movie industry as did Pulp Fiction.

Back