My successful failed crowdfunding campaign

So I recently attempted to crowdfund for some new equipment on IndieGoGo (since Kickstarter doesn't allow non-project-related fundraising). Honestly, it was a half-hearted attempt at best, and I was more trying to use it to get more music video bookings. It failed miserably.

BUT! Someone saw the campaign. Someone who's come across my work but who I've never actually met in real life or heard from prior to this. And that person decided they wanted to help me out and emailed me. Thankfully I didn't delete it as spam (almost happened).

A day later, I had half of my funding goal sitting in a Bitcoin wallet (it's still there, and I'm patiently—and hopefully— waiting for the market to rebound). He later sent an email wishing me luck and hoping that the contribution helped out.

Moral of the story, I guess, is that even failures can bring success, more attention, etc. I almost didn't bother with the crowdfunding campaign because I knew it has little chance of succeeding, but now I'm so glad I did!

(Apologies if this is in the wrong place...)

Cool! I haven't tried this yet but I've considered it.
Didn't even know it was an option just to buy equipment.

Well, there is a big chance that trying to fund equipment instead of a project is one of the main reason the campaign failed.
Most people will just think: "yeah, right, I also want to buy things."

@Cameron:
Cool how it worked out.
1,5 hour ago bitcoin peaked for a moment ;)

Well, there is a big chance that trying to fund equipment instead of a project is one of the main reason the campaign failed.
Most people will just think: "yeah, right, I also want to buy things."

Yeah, I'm sure that's why it failed. I knew from the start it wasn't likely to succeed, but was hoping I'd find someone who wanted to basically pre-buy a music video from me (my goal was low, so it wouldn't have taken much).

Next time I go the crowdfunding route, I'll be doing it for a specific project and will do a lot more pre-promotion and promotion during the actual campaign, and hopefully get some more support from co-creators on the project, which should make it much more likely to succeed.

Back