My grandfather's collection!

My dad (who lives in Norway...where I'm from) just went through his dad's collection of camera gear.
He found a Asahi 28mm, a Pentax ME Super with a 50mm f1.7 and a Vivitar 70-150mm.

Are these any good? I already have ordered the 50mm f1.4 from ebay yesterday.

The quality of them he says look good, no mold nor much yellowing.

old pentax stuff will need an adapter... and depending on the viewing size the adapter might need an adapter lens...

they are really cool things to mess around with... i did this with photography... BUT... honestly... its just more work to mess with...

if you dont mind buying adapters... then get them... the lenses might be old enough that they give you some neat color distortions...

just try it out and see what you think...

you should never give up and opportunity to try something new

old pentax stuff will need an adapter... and depending on the viewing size the adapter might need an adapter lens...

they are really cool things to mess around with... i did this with photography... BUT... honestly... its just more work to mess with...

if you dont mind buying adapters... then get them... the lenses might be old enough that they give you some neat color distortions...

just try it out and see what you think...

you should never give up and opportunity to try something new

Well I'm getting a 49mm adapter for my t2i in the mail shortly along with the Super Takumar 50mm f1.4. People say this lens is amazing.

It's honestly about cost, I'm a film student and I can't afford all these new amazing lenses; so if I can spend less and get good quality old ones... as long as they fit.

I have a lot of old Pentax glass myself. The old SMC and Super Takumar are very nice lenses. I'll be testing how they work with an adapter pretty soon myself. I actually have some even older super takumar m42 screw mount lenses I look forward to testing.

Ordered a 5Dmk2 today, arrives next Tuesday.

I have a 35mm and a 135mm in the M42, and a28mm, a 50mm and an 85mm in the K mount. I ordered an M42 when I ordered the camera just to test out those screw mount.

Ordered a 5Dmk2 today, arrives next Tuesday.

I have a 35mm and a 135mm in the M42, and a28mm, a 50mm and an 85mm in the K mount. I ordered an M42 when I ordered the camera just to test out those screw mount.

That's a full sensor camera right? Because some people have said the super tak 50mm grinds the mirror on the EOS models? Can anyone confirm this?

Nothing I can upload yet, but first shots with the M42 Takumar lenses on the 5Dmk2 last night. They look great. I like them much more than the mid grade Canon zooms I had lying around.

Some basic principles.
1. You have to get the adapter with the flange to push down the aperature pin. If you don't, on some lenses you can only shoot wide open.
2. Some lenses will interfere with the mirror. The way around that is to put the lens at minimum focus, attach it to the camera, and go into live view mode. This flips the mirror up out of the way, and now you can focus to infinity.
3. Personally, I think those tiny lenses on that huge camera look totally badasss.

Nothing I can upload yet, but first shots with the M42 Takumar lenses on the 5Dmk2 last night. They look great. I like them much more than the mid grade Canon zooms I had lying around.

Some basic principles.
1. You have to get the adapter with the flange to push down the aperature pin. If you don't, on some lenses you can only shoot wide open.
2. Some lenses will interfere with the mirror. The way around that is to put the lens at minimum focus, attach it to the camera, and go into live view mode. This flips the mirror up out of the way, and now you can focus to infinity.
3. Personally, I think those tiny lenses on that huge camera look totally badasss.

Actually I ordered the cheap M42 adapter first, didn't push down the aperture pin; result was super bokeh!

I got the fotodiox adapter last night, and I have to say it's very different now that I can control the f-stop! :)
One thing that sucks having a cropped sensor is that my 50mm is practically an 80mm lens. Which kind of sucks.

What I really want is like 1-2 lenses that work for everything so I can hook it up to a rail system and a matte box eventually. Don't think that would work too well with the takumars? I dunno.

Here's a video from before the fotodiox adapter!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyPQPxHuLDk (couldn't get embed to work, think it's broken)

Last edited:
I think SOP is you get an apapter for evey lens, and leave them attached (to the lens), then it's no more hassle them popping any other lens off and on. You just have to remember to minimum focus, then go live view. Some lenses need that some don't, but just a good habit to do alll the time if you're going to use these adapted lenses.

I think SOP is you get an apapter for evey lens, and leave them attached (to the lens), then it's no more hassle them popping any other lens off and on. You just have to remember to minimum focus, then go live view. Some lenses need that some don't, but just a good habit to do alll the time if you're going to use these adapted lenses.

Dear Mr. Gonzo, what lens would you recommend to do a decent short film with? Several? I'm interested in old glass because it's a heck of a lot cheaper.

For example the Vivitar Series 1 70-210 with constant aperture of 3.5, these look really nice! I'll be travelling a lot in the future too with my best friend. We might make a travelogue, so that lens would be nice for that.

But honestly, what kind of lenses are good for making a damn good film? Secondly, what do people do if they're set up on a rig with a matte box, change lenses all the time?

*I'm confused*

Standard is a wide angle (28mm or 35mm), a "normal" (50mm or 55mm), and a closeup (somewhere between 85mm and 135mm). Everything after that is gravy and just gives you more choices. For some reason in almost all mounts 85mm lenses are expensive as hell. You can get a nice 135mm in M42 for $60, but an 85mm will cost you $200 or $300.

The mattebox should just slide forward a little bit to allow you to change the lens. You reallly don't change lenses that often on a shoot, not as much as you'd think, and all lenses will work the same as far as having to move the mattebox.

But with the T2i the crop sensor is an issue, so you have a crop by 1.6. Meaning a 50mm will be 80mm. :/
So what I want is a wide angle takumar or something :D

You'd have to get a 28 (they make a 2.8 I think) which would give you a 45. Not super wide, but you could always throw some cheap canon zoom (that starts at like a 17mm) on for when you needed to go wider.

I always forget about crop sensors. Never used one.

Not crazy about how these turned out. I shot them "crooked Flat" and graded in post. Obviously I am NOT a super skilled colorist..

These are a Super Takumar 35mm 3.5. It's got some dust inside. Curerntly being used as an experiment in my first attempt to tear one of the Taks down.

4d745f1d0a57c.jpg

4d745ce4b4d85.jpg

Back