My footage keeps getting corrupted after uploading?

This happened twice so far. I shot some footage, and I tried to upload it to the computer. The computer then told me that it was no responding. So I had to close out and try again, but then the footage was gone. It has now, a few weeks later, happened again. I have the Canon T2i. Any idea what could be causing it? I uploaded magic lantern into my camera a few weeks ago, and that is the only thing new I can think of that I have been using differently in the camera. Not sure if that would be it though. Any idea?

Thanks.

I will try a different card with magic lantern as well of course. If it happens again, does that mean it's the card for sure, or is the camera doing something to the footage, or the computer? If it happens again, how do I tell if it's the cards?

Try my method (I have the T2i also)

I have this older camera that I no longer use, but it takes SD cards. I usually put the card into that camera and upload the footage through there, cuz for some reason my computer doesnt like taking long files from my t2i

I use a USB 3 card reader because its high speed.

I have both Sandisk and Transcend cards - never had an issue (touch wood) with either.

I take a card out of my Canon (6D) put it into the card reader. Then I copy that data to two 3 GB external hard drives - one MASTER, the other BACKUP.

So far I have had no issues. And I have copied across 1000+ of files from my Canon.

Your issue could be with:
  • your card [try a different one if issue persists]
  • your cable [try a different one if issue persists]
  • your card reader [try a different one if issue persists]
  • your camera [unlikely]
  • your computer/drive
  • your workflow - eg if you're doing something wrong like pulling out a card whilst its reading/writing
  • magic lantern? - not sure, I'm not an expert in ML
As mussonman suggests try formatting your card first. Canon does recommend this - see your manual.

Last edited:
Actually I have a card reader that is being a bit faulty the last couple of days. You have to tip it upward a bit to get it working now, as oppose to before. If it is not tipped slightly, the card will not read or get 'ejected', according to the computer. Could this be the problem maybe? I was told by a guy who knows a lot more about computers than I do, that data does not disappear if it is disconnected, but it happened once before, so maybe he's wrong?

Last edited:
Actually I have a card reader that is being a bit faulty the last couple of days. You have to tip it upward a bit to get it working now, as oppose to before. If it is not tipped slightly, the card will not read or get 'ejected', according to the computer. Could this be the problem maybe?

Sure it could.

I was told by a guy who knows a lot more about computers than I do, that data does not disappear if it is disconnected, but it happened once before, so maybe he's wrong?

He's incorrect. If the card reader is reading or writing and cuts out mid-read/write, it can easily corrupt the data. On holiday, I had someone pull out my card whilst a printing booth was reading it, mid-read - the whole card got corrupted and my camera could not access the card. I was very very annoyed. I managed to recover some of the files using a flash memory card recovery program - mussonman has highlighted one above.

Last edited:
I've had this issue happen a couple of times on a production. We lost about half a dozen takes due to it. We were able to recover, but it really sucks when it happens.

I chalked it down to a faulty card or a bad sector on the card (as the issue happened twice with that card but none of the other cards), but it can also happen from a faulty card reader. It just crashed the computer when it tried to read particular files. When the computer rebooted the files were gone and unable to be recovered.

If you suspect the issue is something in particular, test it with something you just don't need and replace the offending piece. It'd be horrible to lose a whole days work due to a fault that's easily avoidable through thorough testing.

You often seem to lose files one way or another or get strange settings in your software.

Are you sure your computer is 'clean'?
No virus, trojans, malware, worms, etc?
Are you using your editing machine to surf the internet?
At least shut down connection during transfer.
Better still: use your workstation for editing only.

Do you use the camera to load footage?
Better use a good cardreader that hasn't got a battery that can quit during transfer.
Change cable to see it's the cable.

BTW, if you need to tip a part to make it work, it's practicly broken and unreliable.

Back