• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

music!

i wanted to include some songs in the film im working on.
what kind of legal clearance do i need to do that, with copyrites and all?

Music

I think you'll find this subject covered at length in another string.

Basically, you'll need copyright clearance from the music publisher to use the song and usage clearance from the record label, if you are using the record. This not an either or situation, but a both. Almost without doubt, they will require payment for this.

The only exception I know of, is if you are a film student based in the UK and your indivdual college has a copyright clearance waiver. In which case you may be able to use the music on student films without obtaining permission, provided it is never sold or used for profit. The college should have a copy of the document and should know themselves what they can and can't do.

Any attempt to use someone's material without legal permission is theft and treated in the courts accordingly.

A better route is to find local bands who have recorded a demo disc and get permission from them to use their songs. You can get the demos sent to you by putting an add in the local music shops that say "Songs needed for local film project, please send CD to PO Box etc" You will definately get a response.

thanks.
my mom was telling me something about after a certain time the copyrite on music expires? she said thats why so many commercials have classic rock songs in them - because they are free. is that true and if so how old does the song have to be?

Music goes into the public domain 75 years after the death of the original artist.

Classic rock songs are used on commercials because they are attractive to the target audience for the product and because they are "cheap" to license, in comparision with more recent pop music.

A Lot of movies use classical music, it`s free and has great quality, making it a cheap and good score.

The use of some garage bands who provide their music for free is also an option, of course the quality of the songs doesn`t always live up!

Be careful about classical music because while the composition may be public domain, the actual performance and master recording may be covered under copyright. For instance, if the New York Symphony records a Bach piece in 2000, the recording of that performance won’t fall into the public domain until approximately 2070, however the score is still pubic domain, and you can use the sheet music without permission to record your own piece, or you can use any recordings made prior to 1934ish but you can not use that particular NYS recording without permission.

Back