Music website? Hire a pro? Or DIY.

I work in the music/film world (mostly documentaries) and most of the time I find temp music on YouTube's music library to find the right mood, and then I'll usually hit up a composer (or band) I know to sub in/compose the final music. But that way I'm able to experiment with different feelings. I also edit very musically, so I like to have music in place while I'm still doing the offline. I just did a Travel Show (
) where we had temp music for whole post process (3 YEARS 😪) and then 2 days before we premiered it, a friends band donated all of their instrumental music for us to you use. It took a second to get used to certain scenes after having it sounding the same way, but now we love it so much better.

I work in the music/film world (mostly documentaries) and most of the time I find temp music on YouTube's music library to find the right mood, and then I'll usually hit up a composer (or band) I know to sub in/compose the final music. But that way I'm able to experiment with different feelings. I also edit very musically, so I like to have music in place while I'm still doing the offline. I just did a Travel Show (
) where we had temp music for whole post process (3 YEARS 😪) and then 2 days before we premiered it, a friends band donated all of their instrumental music for us to you use. It took a second to get used to certain scenes after having it sounding the same way, but now we love it so much better.
Dude! This looks amazing and actually really funny. I subbed to you guys on YouTube.
Thanks for sharing your insight.
I hear that most composers hate temp music... but I think it gives the editors something to really latch onto.

Ha! Nice. Thanks man! Glad you liked it. Check out the band Wargirl - they did all the music for our show. Hopefully, in the future, we'll be able them to actually SCORE the show for us (this was all pre-made, instrumentals they had in the library).

Ha! Nice. Thanks man! Glad you liked it. Check out the band Wargirl - they did all the music for our show. Hopefully, in the future, we'll be able them to actually SCORE the show for us (this was all pre-made, instrumentals they had in the library).
It sounds pretty taylor made for what you guys are doing. Really good!

For my 2nd feature (I'm writer & producer), DETOURS, we did a bit of everything. We hired a guy to write the closing credits song, and used bits of that throughout. We hired a composer to write a score. And we also got a lot of bands and songrwriters to give us permission to use their music. FYI (shameless plug) - the movie is on Amazon Prime in the US & UK, free on TubiTV in the US, and on Vimeo worldwide.

On my first feature, Surviving Family, (again Prime, TubiTV, and Vimeo) we did the first 2 (hired for closing credits music & hired for score), but only sourced 1 piece of music via You Tube.

Our director & editor did a bts about one of my favorite scene, which includes a discussion of the temp music she used, what was eventually chosen, and how she found it. You can check that out here:

Last edited:
Back