Music video basics - Crew

I'm doing a music video for one of my close friends next month and I'm getting a little nervous about it. The guys in this band are really serious musicians (one of them has done some producing, and is the drummer for a really well-known regional band).

The big shoot I'm worried about is the one where we're getting all the band shots (there will be some other filler scenes that should be much simpler to get). We have an awesome location (abandoned Cold War-era military base), but it does mean some logistical challenges (including a lack of power and a lot of potential dangers).

As it stands right now, I'm looking at only bringing along one other person besides the band to help out, who will act as a PA and an AD. Part of that is because it's a dangerous place and I'd like to keep to a minimum the number of people who are there, and part of it is because I just want to keep things really simple. Basically I'm going to get master shots from a few different angles with my tripod and then do as many takes as I can with my Flycam for each individual location we set up in (I'm hoping for 3, but realistically we may only do 2). We're going for a specific look and between those two I think we'll be able to get it.

I guess I'm basically asking if only going up there with two crew members (including myself) is insane. It's a one-day shoot, I plan on keeping craft services pretty simple (I'll probably try to get someplace local to donate subs or something that will keep easily in a cooler, plus things like granola bars, fruit, coffee, etc.), and then we'll all probably grab dinner at the end of the day. The guys in the band can do a little here or there if absolutely necessary, particularly when I'm doing close-ups of each member.

Any advice on this would be really awesome.

You can do it with a skeleton crew, though there's no question that you'll benefit from more people being there.

Hold this up. Move that thing. Keep this bounce card focused on our stars' face. Go fetch that thing that we forgot to bring. This costume sucks, please fix it. Lean against me, to keep me balanced while I get this really awkward shot.

There are a plethora of hypothetical reasons why you could benefit from having a couple more hands on deck.

The biggest thing I'd recommend to you is that you don't just plan on getting a couple masters plus a few shots with your fly-cam. I couldn't tell from the way you worded things in your post, so this advice might be unneeded, but I just want to stress that all of your shots should be acutely targeted. There have been times when I've recorded free-wheeling "general" footage, and it's always sucked. The only footage I've ever liked is the stuff that I've really put some thought behind.

And Alcove is right to mention audio. Make sure you've got a stereo that is loud enough for your performers to hear and lip-sync along with. And instruct them to actually sing it, not just lip-sync.

Get more crew, at least another friend or two, that's my advice. Also, don't forget to have fun! :)

Last edited:
What are you doing about audio playback - I'm assuming that the band will be "playing" their instruments and lip syncing?

I'm not 100% sure on the playback setup at the moment, but that's a top priority. We may end up having to use one of the vehicle stereos for it, since power is an issue (and yes, we'll start the vehicle periodically to let the battery charge, and make sure we have jumper cables just in case ;) ).

You can do it with a skeleton crew, though there's no question that you'll benefit from more people being there.

Hold this up. Move that thing. Keep this bounce card focused on our stars' face. Go fetch that thing that we forgot to bring. This costume sucks, please fix it. Lean against me, to keep me balanced while I get this really awkward shot.

There are a plethora of hypothetical reasons why you could benefit from having a couple more hands on deck.

The biggest thing I'd recommend to you is that you don't just plan on getting a couple masters plus a few shots with your fly-cam. I couldn't tell from the way you worded things in your post, so this advice might be unneeded, but I just want to stress that all of your shots should be acutely targeted. There have been times when I've recorded free-wheeling "general" footage, and it's always sucked. The only footage I've ever liked is the stuff that I've really put some thought behind.

And Alcove is right to mention audio. Make sure you've got a stereo that is loud enough for your performers to hear and lip-sync along with. And instruct them to actually sing it, not just lip-sync.

Get more crew, at least another friend or two, that's my advice. Also, don't forget to have fun! :)

At this point I'm thinking at least two other people besides myself, maybe even three. Part of it is finding people who I know I can rely on to take it seriously and not to cause more issues than they solve. I have one friend who desperately wants to help out (she's friends with a couple of the guys in the band), but I've basically had to say no, because she'd be more of a distraction than anything else. I really want to find people who can do things I can't do, like reach high places and lift heavy things, as well as do general things that need to be done.

As far as the shots go, I have very specific ideas for the kinds of shots I want to get. And the master shots aren't going to be just straight-on masters, they'll be at interesting angles, but they'll include the entire band. Part of that, honestly, is that we're not going to have time to rehearse beforehand (in fact, the guys doing the video have never played the song together, which should make it really interesting...), so that almost acts as a mix of rehearsal and master. Plus, it gives me a chance to study what they're doing so I can modify my own plans for flycam shots if necessary. We had originally wanted to do some dolly shots, too, but since we're limited to one day we decided that wasn't the best idea.

To give you an idea of the kinds of shots I'm looking to get, these are basically the inspiration for the band shots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk9uevsHvAE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr3r6Mdci6c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9ZRbtmnTHA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPCsUJ0QVFA

Back