• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Music used in a trailer

I plan on shooting a trailer for a feature I hope to film sometimes this year. I plan on putting the trailer on kickstarter and hopefully raising a budget.

I would love to use a couple great tracks in the trailer to really set the tone and style of the film. I was wondering if it is legal to use an artist's music in this context without licensing their track?

Thanks for any response.

Thanks for the quick reply. I appreciate that.

I have my sights set on a few 70's style groove/rock tracks that would really set the tone and be more effective in showing my style in the trailer.

For the feature, however, I fully plan on working with many great indie artists. I live in Toronto and there is definitly a wide variety of undergound talent here.

Why don't you post the track you have in mind here, and we can all throw you suggestions of bands that you might be able to approach?

I'm sure there are loads of people producing 70's influenced groove tracks at the moment who'd be delighted to help you out.

Would it be legal for you to use the music you want? No.

Could you get away with it? Yes.

Would it be ethical? I dunno, ask yourself.

Did Joe Carnehan get the rights for all of the video and music he used in this sizzle reel? I don't have any knowledge of the answer, but I think a good educated guess is no, he did not. Did anyone care? I certainly don't recall anyone on this forum objecting.

You're not talking about making a marketable product; you're making a proof of concept. Does that really require you to toe the line on legalities? I can't answer that for you, but I guess it's obvious where I lie on this issue.

I have my sights set on a few 70's style groove/rock tracks that would really set the tone and be more effective in showing my style in the trailer.

Either adding this particular music affects the style or it doesn't. If it doesn't then you can use any similar, cost free music. If it does affect the style, then by definition it's not "your style" as the style is in part based on someone else's work, which you would have effectively stolen (unless you license it).

You're not talking about making a marketable product ...

I entirely agree with the points in your post but: Although I know that by "a marketable product" you mean a product which is saleable (to say a distributor/broadcaster) and by that definition the OP is not talking about "a marketable product". By the literal definition though, isn't "a marketable product" precisely what the OP is talking about? According to the OP, he's making this trailer for the sole purpose of marketing. It will be a product designed solely to market his film idea on Kickstarter to raise a budget!

In other words, the OP should at least consider that his proposed trailer (with unlicensed music) has the potential to indicate that he doesn't appreciate or understand the legalities of filmmaking, which could be detrimental to his chances of achieving his funding target.

G

Could you get away with it? Yes.

I'm not so sure. Remember that crowdfunding campaigns have to be checked and approved by KS before they go live. I assume that one of the things they check for is unlicensed music (though I've sen people get round this by embedding videos in the campaign body post).

As I say, I'm not sure, but seems an unnecessary way to endanger your campaign.

I plan on shooting a trailer for a feature I hope to film sometimes this year. I plan on putting the trailer on kickstarter and hopefully raising a budget.

I would love to use a couple great tracks in the trailer to really set the tone and style of the film. I was wondering if it is legal to use an artist's music in this context without licensing their track?

Thanks for any response.

You can't use a music that's not licensed. Spend time with a site like http://www.reverbnation.com/
You should find right artist for your work

Back