• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Music Rights Help

Initially posted this in a comment, but thought it might deserve its own thread:

How long should I wait before following up with someone from the record company? I spoke with him on the phone regarding the master license and sent him an email a week ago, but have yet to hear back from him. I also haven't heard anything from the publisher (i.e. response to my email) regarding the synch licenses. Would anyone be able to offer up any advice and/or assistance? My film's been "completed" for quite some time now and I'm eager to submit it to festivals or at least be able to post it online. If I can't afford the rights to the music I'll be forced to choose alternatives, but I would at least like to get some quotes before making that decision. There are three songs in total, two by the same artist.

edit: none are in the harry fox songfile database

A week sounds about right. Be persistent. It's hard to ride the fine line between persistence and being a PITA, but "The squeaky wheel gets the grease."

In the meanwhile get moving on your alternatives so they are already in place - or close to it - if you get turned down by your primary choices.

Back