MPEG Streamclip = No TC (do I care?)

I transcoded all my footage to ProRes Proxy using MPEG Streamclip, and now see that it didn't pass the timecode to the new file. I've done several tests with conforming back to the original HQ footage and it seems to work just fine.

Although it's much slower than MPEG Streamclip, Compressor preserves the TC.

I'm editing a 15 minute short and I'm not relying on TC. So, do I go back and transcode again with Compressor?

I've got a bad feeling about dumping time code, and don't want to move forward until I know if I'm about to make a mistake. Thanks.

Thomas

I just realized that I'll screw up my DP/Colorist, in that I can't hand him an XML file to recreate the cut. Looks like I'm in for a long night babysitting Compressor. :bang:

You can speed up compressor, you need to set up a single machine 'quick cluster' - instructions here:

http://help.apple.com/compressor/ma...al/index.html#chapter=29&section=4&tasks=true

Depending on your system it can be dramatically faster. On mine it will peg all 8 threads at 100%, with performance comparable or better than mpeg streamclip.

The only issue I've run into with it is encodes of long videos - source clips an hour or two long. It splits the video among your processor core/threads, then reassembles the segments once they're all compressed - the reassembly process seems to only leverage about 20% of the CPU. So for a bunch of short clips it's fine, but with really long ones the reassembly process can take a long, long time - essentially negating anything you gained from using the quick cluster.

Last edited:
Back