Moving to the US to do a masters?

Hi folks,

Having recently finished University here in the UK with a first class honours degree, I began to wonder if a masters degree would be a logical next step towards being employed.

I want to be a cinematographer and my end of year piece at University received a decade high score of 83 which has given me some confidence that I am at least barking up the right tree.

Now being a relatively untravelled Blackpool lad It would also be fantastic to spend what will hopefully be my last unemployed year until retirement in another country as I may not get the opportunity to do so again.

I have begun to look into masters degrees in the US, if I came back to the UK with a masters in film or cinematography from a respected US University or film school I believe it would add a lot of clout to my C.V, and my showreel would look very exotic and show a high level of commitment to the art form.

My first question is, do people think this is an idea worth pursuing? Secondly, I know very little about US educational establishments, I know of course that L.A is where the deals are done in the industry but that doesn't necessarily make it the best place to study.

Any advice is hugely welcome, particularly nods in the direction of acclaimed film schools and universities.

Kind regards,

Luke.

It really depends what you wanna do. You probably know already that you don't need to even have University level education to become a Cinematographer.

So, I think it really depends on what you want to do. Going back to the UK with a US Masters is great if you want to teach. Or maybe work in the media department of a non-media company.

Most people I know use a US Master's degree as a way of getting over there with some sort of permanency to their stay - at least until they've finished their course and then they can work it out. An acquaintance of mine is perhaps 'trapped' - wanting to stay there but needing to be enrolled at a University to do so. He's still doing paid work, but needs to stay enrolled in a Univeristy in order to keep his visa.

Its an expensive way to do it. As you probably know, the most important thing is the work you've done.
Is spending $140-$280k+ on a 2-4 year Master's in the US going to give you some nice showreel material? Probably. But you essentially come back in the same position as you a re now. In fact, worse as you've been out of the game, and haven't been networking for 2-4 years.

So I would look at it like this: could you spend te money in a smarter way that will help your career in a much better way? For example; if owning a camera in your local market is what you need to get work, you're better off buying a camera now, as you're going to be in a worse position after you spend all that money on schooling and still don't have the tools necessary to get you jobs in your market.

Going to a US School is obviously a great opportunity and would be a great time. But for $140k, I could buy myself a pretty nice camera and electrics package.

What's going to be more likely to get you work? What's your market like? What's your goals?

Cheers Jax.

I have followed up on this and am seriously looking at my options. I get infrequent freelance work here now but its by no means enough to keep me going and I feel like it doesn't matter how hard I work here or how good my film making is, I am at best looking at a career as a cinematographer in a commercial production company. Whilst that is a sensible middle ground to aim for, being a decent balance between a healthy living and a creative outlet, I figure I am young enough to at least give the big Hollywood Cinematographer or Director dream one big try. The masters I am looking at doing (At NYFA) is only a single year and with international discounts etc will cost me around £40,000 for the year including living costs etc.

Whilst that is a huge amount of money, I would have spent £15,000 of it just staying over here in the UK on living costs, so the extra £25,000 is the real cost. Now £25,000 doesn't look too bad for an amazing showreel, contacts gained over there, and the prestige of the name on your C.V, on top of the new found knowledge of how to use higher end cameras like the RED's etc.

The other options are to either do an MA over here in the UK,or do runner/PA work whilst building my showreel up and looking for jobs.

Well, if you got a first-class honors, then you must be special. :)

But, if you're from Europe, and, if you can afford it, you should come to the US for a masters. First of all, you would be getting a different educational and cultural perspective; second, you're still young and you should load up on life's experiences.

Hope to see you soon! :)

Back