Mounting Shock Mount to Stand & DSLR

Greetings all!

I'm a long time reader, first time poster.

I've recently began becoming more serious about my filmmaking endeavors and started purchasing equipment. I've purchased a Rode NT5 and Zoom H4N for recording actor dialog indoors. Obviously my first route for audio would be to hire a professional but this just isn't feasible for me at this time. Not only that but, for me, it's important to have my own basic audio kit and at least know how to use it.

With that out of the way, here is my question:

I'm looking at this stand to start off:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/407080-REG/On_Stage_SB9600_SB9600_Studio_Tripod_Boom.html

I will also be purchasing or making a boom pole as well. I want to be able to attach a shock mount to either the boom, stand or DSLR at any given time. If I were to, say, buy this shock mount:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/398316-REG/Rode_SM3_SM3_On_Camera_Shockmount.html

which has the shoe mount already, what adapters would I need in order to attach it to a boom pole and/or stand?

Also, if you have any other suggestions please let me know.

Thanks!

Interesting choice of mic. A cardioid can be useful at times, but may also have too wide a pattern in many applications. A hypercardioid is going to have a tighter pattern for better isolation in reflective environments, and the pattern also allows a slightly more liberal working distance. A standard cardioid will need to be slightly closer to get the needed signal-to-background ratio.

As far as the shock mount, the one you linked has the needed 3/8" threaded mount already, so boom-pole mounting should not be an issue. There are 3/8">5/8" thread adapters for mounting to standard mic stands, and those aren't terribly expensive. Instead, though, I would suggest you look at the INV-6 suspension from Rycote. It is slightly more expensive, but comes threaded for boom poles (3/8") and with an included 5/8" adapter. Then you need only to buy a shoe mount adapter (also inexpensive). Plus, the lyre suspension design is far more effective than the old-fashioned rubber bands.

But here's the caveat: a cardioid is FAR too wide a mic to do any good mounted on a camera. The camera is generally the last and worst place to put a microphone, but a shotgun on a camera can have an occasional, practical purpose. A cardioid will not be nearly as useful on a camera. 9.99 times out of 10 you want to get the mic off the camera and into the action, or as close to the dialog as possible.

And don't forget wind protection. Even indoors, a boom swing or a gentle airflow from a fan or HVAC vent can cause wind noise.

Last edited:
Do you have any C-Stands?

853471.jpg

There are various clamps that will allow you to use a C-Stand as a stationary mic boom. (You should have a couple of C-Stands as a standard part of your kit anyway.) Not as elegant as a traditional mic boom stand, but will definitely do the job.

469810.jpg

boom_holder.png.400x275_q85.png

I've used the Gitzo shock-mount; it was okay:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/86370-REG/Gitzo_G11510N_G11510N_Microphone_Shock_Mount.html

gz11510.jpg

My thing is to stay "modular" so you may want to consider something like this as your hot-shoe mount:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/386253-REG/K_Tek_K_SA_KSA_Adjustable_Camera.html

20409.jpg

You'll screw whichever shock-mount you get to it.

And just a little gratuitous advice... NEVER cheap out on accessories. Purchasing quality accessories saves you a lot of money in the long run. I have keyboard stands, mic stands, rack cases, etc. that are 25 years old and older. The same stands and racks have seen the gear come and go; they may not be pretty, but they still work perfectly.

Thanks for the reply!

I was also looking at the Audio-Technica - AT875 and the Avantone Pro CK-1 but after reading a gazillion sites and posts with just as many opinions I jumped in and got the Rode because I found a great deal. Those 2 are still on my radar as I'd like to eventually have more than one mic.

Thanks for suggesting the Rycote. It looks like the difference in price ($12) in nominal in order to get the additional 5/8" adapter and more effective suspension.

As far as mounting to the camera I really just wanted to make sure I had the option to do so just in case the need arises. Maybe for those "in-your-face-handheld-stuff" situations. :)

The Rode I purchased comes with the standard foam windshield, would you suggest some else like maybe a deadcat?

Thanks Alcove!

The C-stand was actually the first thing I started looking at.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/372016-REG/Impact_CT40MKIT_Master_Century_C_Stand.html

and as I started adding up all the components :no:

Trust me I'm all about not going cheap on accessories especially for audio since the lifespan is so long and not needing upgraded. It's just at this point I'm trying to get some basic gear to get me started and think maybe I can spread some money in other areas.

EDIT:

Is there an advantage to using a c-stand?

Last edited:
Is there an advantage to using a c-stand?

For the serious filmmaker C-Stands are just a little bit lower than air and water on the "must have" list. You need C-Stands for lighting, flagging, an extra mic stand, and dozens of other uses. You'll always need a C-Stand or ten; you won't always need a stationary mic stand - and if you do always need a stationary mic stand I'll find a nun to wrap your knuckles with a ruler, then I'll shove your mic right in your ear and pull it out the other.:lol::lol::lol:

For the serious filmmaker C-Stands are just a little bit lower than air and water on the "must have" list. You need C-Stands for lighting, flagging, an extra mic stand, and dozens of other uses. You'll always need a C-Stand or ten; you won't always need a stationary mic stand - and if you do always need a stationary mic stand I'll find a nun to wrap your knuckles with a ruler, then I'll shove your mic right in your ear and pull it out the other.:lol::lol::lol:

HAHA!:lol:

Point taken!

Back