• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Modifying street signs and etc w/ FCP or Motion?

Hiya.

I use FCP and I need to change the letterings in a street sign and a newspaper (w/ a custom pic). They're essential to the story of my current movie, especially the newspaper bit. I have Motion, but I've never used it. Basically, I need to "photoshop" custom letterings and pics onto existing things and I'm wondering how could I do that on FCP studio. I should also note that they weren't tripod shots but handheld via shoulder rig.

Thanks for all the helpful advice I get here at IndieTalk!

Sorry, I was in a hurry and wanted to at least point you in the right direction for searching for the solution or youtube vids. I'd have explained it fully if I'd have had time.

You can do it manually within FCP, but it'll wobble a bit and won't look convincing... just by skewing the upper layer (a text layer will do just fine). Plant each corner of the text layer to the respective corner of the sign... if there's motion, advance a frame, adjust the corners, repeat frame by frame. If it's a constant motion, you can move forward 10 frames at a time or more and move it, it should interpolate the whole move between the keyframes you add for it (ctrl-K).

Back