• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Moby gives music for free

And when you get tired of using tracks from the same couple of artists as everyone else...

http://www.jamendo.com/

Hundreds of thousands of tracks from bands all around the world, all licensed under creative commons. Most of the CC licenses allow you to use the songs in your work with varying limitations (at minimum give credit, some are non-commercial use only, some require you to release your work under the same license). Many of them are also available under the jamendo pro licensing system, so if you decide you do need a commercial license it's generally inexpensive and quick/easy to obtain.

Personally I think it's the single most valuable online music resource for independent filmmakers.

I'm pretty sure the sort is always from most popular to least - I think it's just not updating the graphic properly to represent that on the search page.

Their interface could definitely use some work though. I've been wanting to dig into their api and see if I could put together a better interface specifically geared at browsing their stuff for film soundtrack material - just too busy to mess around with it right now.

I generally just hit play on their most popular tracks playlists right now, once every week or two, and listen while I'm working. When I hear a song that's interesting I mark it as a favorite or jump over to the album/artist page to download it. This way I've built up a library of potential soundtrack material, so I rarely use the site to search for specific things.

Back