• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

mixing two different cameras for one shoot?

Hello my fellow INDIERS! Hows it goin?? Well I need your guys help. I have a shoot this Sunday and here our the options for filming.
OPTION ONE:
1 Canon 5D Mark ii
3 Canon 60D's
OPTION TWO:
1 Sony HXR-NX5U
3 Canon 60D's
OPTION THREE:
3 Canon 60d's
The HXR-NX5u is more expensive then 5d but here is my situation. Will it mix well in post? Like will there be a significant difference in how it looks? I will be using technicolor cinestyle for the DSLR's but they will all go through color grading and I can try match the sony with the others. Anyway what would you do? But on thing is the owner of the 5d will not put technicolor cinestyle on his DSLR so it would be the same as using the NX5U... Thats why we might stick with all 60D's. But I'd love to see how you guys would go about this :)

If possible, always use the same kind of camera, so option #3. Second choice with the options you listed is to stick to canon DSLRs (option #1). But the 5D is still going to look more different since it's full frame and has sort of a look unto itself color-wise.

Why are you using more than one camera, anyway? Are you shooting something live?

(side note: please tell me your avatar is not serious)

With a good DP and good post work it'll match fine. Don't forget that Hollywood mixes digital (high end arri, red, and low end DSLR and phantom, etc) with each other quite frequently.

If you want an easier job, go the DSLR route. I'd vote the 5D and 60D's. They'll match great with all the same settings, and the 5D being fullframe and thus "wider" it will give you some more options angle-wise. Plus, an extra camera never hurts haha.

The technicolor cinestyle doesn't do anything that amazing to your picture - you're most likely to end up with the same looking footage as your 5D anyway if you lit it and shot it correctly just with a lit more work (and arguably more noise).
I'm not sure why you need 3-4 cameras anyway.. If it's a narrative project, just stick to the one. If it's a live event, you're going to want to use the NX5 for the audio and the ease of it anyway. If it's a live event, then it's hardly going to matter what you mix with what. If it's a narrative, I don't see why you need 4 cameras, so don't see why you need to mix much in the first place.

Back