• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Mixing 24p and 60p

Hey guys,

I am shooting my very first videoclip in a couple of days and I have a question which I couldn't find any answers to.

I am usually shooting in 1080p at 24 frames per second. Now in the upcoming videoclip I would like to shoot some 60FPS stuff for slow motion at 720p. Now having known that I am looking for the "film look" I am setting my shutter speed to double the framerate. However when changing from shutter speed 50(24p) to something around 120(60p) the 2 footage will look different because of the more/less light coming in.

What do you suggest considering that I am probably going to use an ND filter and will be shooting outside in broad daylight with a lot of sunlight?

Thank you very much in advance,

Marcell

Your shutter speed will be fixed at 50 or 125.

So you can adjust the exposure using the ND filter, aperture and ISO.

Hopefully your ND filter is a variable one, in which case adjust it to match the light for the two shutter speeds.

If it's not a variable one or it is but you can't get the exposure match just right then adjust the aperture and/or ISO too. You should be able to get the exposure looking the same when shooting at a shutter speed of 50 vs 125.

If you find the match is not perfect when you review your footage at home, then you should be able to correct in post - provided the difference is not extreme or you have blown footage.

Your shutter speed will be fixed at 50 or 125.

So you can adjust the exposure using the ND filter, aperture and ISO.

Hopefully your ND filter is a variable one, in which case adjust it to match the light for the two shutter speeds.

If it's not a variable one or it is but you can't get the exposure match just right then adjust the aperture and/or ISO too. You should be able to get the exposure looking the same when shooting at a shutter speed of 50 vs 125.

If you find the match is not perfect when you review your footage at home, then you should be able to correct in post - provided the difference is not extreme or you have blown footage.

Thank you for your reply! I will try this out!

I know about the Exposure Triangle. The only thing is that I don't wanna change my aperture because I want to keep that nice shallow depth of field and I also like to keep the ISO as low as possible.

Back