• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Mixed light sources

Maybe this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it:I'm thinking of lighting a scene with mixed

light temperatures, such as 3000k work lights(halogen) and 5500k Flos (color correct with CRI rating

and all that) : So if I set the white balance on my camera(T3i) to 5500k will it interperet the 3000k

lights as daylight? Or would it be better to pass them through a daylight gel?? Also, on the T3i, if I

understand correctly, in order to bypass the default white balance settings I need to take an image of

something white and lit how I plan to shoot. I then use this image to set the white balance to the

temp I want..?? Right?

Last edited:
Well, I have never seen anything good come from lighting with two different colored temperature bulbs trying to light the same image at the same time. Your giving your post guy what sounds like an impossible task. If you set your camera to white balance at 5500 then your 3000k lights are going to look super warm, like orange/yellow. If you balance at 3000 then your 5500k bulbs are going to look cool, pretty blue. I know they make flo bulbs that are at the color temperature rating of 3200k. That is what I would look for. I would always try to keep the color temperature consistant, otherwise I think you are asking for trouble.

You're going to have to gel them to make them the same (probably the tungsten's for ease and this will also take care of any daylight spillage you might have from windows).

Yep with the white balance on the camera. Another way to go is to use a WB preset in the camera, then tweak in post if your NLE has that ability.

Last edited:
Mixed color temperatures trip me up all the time.

I'm no DP (just JP) but from the limited stuff I've shot it's best to balance everything out with gels for the lights and/or windows. The closer the color temps are, the better for colors on screen.

My 1 cent b/c that's not even 2 cents worth of advice! ;)

Don't mix temps. Gives a weird look. And CTB gels work but they knock the light way down, gels aren't a great solution from my experience with regards to changing temps.
They make spiral flos in different temps.

Back