• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Microphone set ups

I've got a Sony HDR-FX7, which up til now I've used for a wedding, a few railfan videos, and some other misc. stuff that pays for dinner but isn't very creative or "film" I suppose. So, finally getting a short script worked out, I'm gathering the equipment to make a half decent effort. I've got some lights, and the FX7 has a very nice picture, HOWEVER, I'm lost on sound.

I know I want to get a boom pole up, over the actors for dialogue, but I have no idea what microphone I'm looking for, or any interfacing whatnots. I'm aware an old ocmputer microphone ducttaped to a mop handle isn't exactly going to do it, BUT I do have limited cash (Figure, under a $1000)

I originally thought I can get a half decent microphone, plug it straight into the camera, however the only input it has is an 1/8th inch headphone/computer microphone style jack, and I seriou'm starting to doubt I'll get a decent quality microphone that'll have an 1/8th inch jack on it....

So, can you help out the FNG?

Last edited:
I'm lost on sound.

I'll say it first and get it out of the way - Hire a professional, or at the least retain an up-and-comer; you have enough to do.

I know you won't do that, but my conscience is clear.

Search for posts by ROC and myself here on IndieTalk.

The down and dirty; you'll need:

A shotgun (lobar) mic for outdoors.

A hyper-cardioid mic for indoors.

A boom-pole.

A shock-mount.

Cables.

Headphones.

A juicedLink or BeachTek adapter/mixer to connect to the camera OR a digital audio recorder (Zoom, Tascam, etc.).

Knowledge of signal flow, gain-staging and boom technique.

"Back in the Day" I used to spend my money on guitars and amps, so I'm somewhat familiar with signal flow, gain, etc that crosses that boundry.

And let's say for messing around, what brand shotgun/mixer is going to give me a good price for quality tradeoff?

If you want to record audio to camera get the juicedLink CX231.

If you want a separate audio recorder the Fostex FR2-LE, Marantz PMD-661, Zoom H4n, Tascam DR-100

Shotgun - Rode NTG-1, NTG-2, Audio Technica AT897, AT875

Cardioid - Oktava mk-012, Audio Technica AT4053b

These are the usual low budget recommendations for indie filmmakers.

Thanks for the help! And your blog made for an interesting/informative read while I battled insomnia last night!

EDIT: So, After looking it over as a beginning set up I'm starting with an AT875 and the CX231. Should be right around $500 (new, not assuming I can find used or eBay stuff) plus a bit for some cables and I've got an old extension pole to use as the boom. Pretty good.

EDIT Deux: After reseraching a bit more to understand my new area of venturing a bit more, I found that a Juicedlink 211 is essentially the same as a 231, only with out Phantom power, which as I understand is used to bypass the need for a battery on the mic assuming it can run from this source?

I also in my research saw a lot of folks suggesting Beachtek as a lower dollar adapter, however I'm skeptical that the only, erm, "redeeming" quality it has is its cheaper, and I have a thought that lower quality=crunchy, staticy sound.

Last edited:
So, After looking it over as a beginning set up I'm starting with an AT875 and the CX231.

Get a hypercardioid for indoors; a shotgun usually gives that amateurish echoey roomy sound unless used with great skill and the room is well treated.

After reseraching a bit more to understand my new area of venturing a bit more, I found that a Juicedlink 211 is essentially the same as a 231, only with out Phantom power, which as I understand is used to bypass the need for a battery on the mic assuming it can run from this source?

But most mics, such as the AT875, don't not have an internal battery, so how would you supply the phantom power? That's why I recommend the CX231.

I also in my research saw a lot of folks suggesting Beachtek as a lower dollar adapter, however I'm skeptical that the only, erm, "redeeming" quality it has is its cheaper, and I have a thought that lower quality=crunchy, staticy sound.

The Beachtek DXA-6A (which supplies phantom power) has been discontinued, and though a decent unit, the juicedLink is definitely smoother.

You know, I just got done watching Paranormal Activity and was complaining that the only thing i didn't like about it was the echoey sound. yes yes I know it's part of the illusion of it beinga home video, but it still made my ears twinge. A good style choice, still not a good sound though, so I was hoping to avoid that! Now, we've got an older microphone from when my friend's band used to do....something...which I believe is a cardioid and I figure I'll start with experimenting with it and see if it functions good enough.

Good deal on the phantom power, i didn't really think that one through.

Spending limited money isn't something anyone really wants to do, but its not like this is a one time use item, and therefore I'd rather get good equipment ONCE instead of Mediocre or S*** equipment now, and spend more money on down the road on better stuff, and I must say, I'm learning somethings I ha dno idea on before!

Last edited:
Now, we've got an older microphone from when my friend's band used to do....something...

Just keep in mind that mics used for music and mics for production sound are two very different animals. Music production gear tends to color the sound - and that is appropriate; for production sound you want a very "flat" mic, a mic which does not color the sound.

Back