• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Mic usage for 7 actors in a room?

I have this short film idea that involves a poker table scene. 7 people will be sitting at the table. How do I mic everyone properly and be able to use a mixer in the process? What would the set up be like? Would I use only lavs? Or would I use multiple shotgun mics on booms? What would I do to record all the dialogue well?

Never come across anything so complex myself but if I had access to the resources I would put a lav on each of the actors preferable into an 8channel recorder to take ISO tracks and boom each actor in turn during the close ups if there are any. If you don't have access to that kinda gear then take guide audio with a boom or hyper during the wide and get the audio coverage with the boom during the close ups.

Luckily for you there are some more experienced soundies on this forum who will probably tell you exactly how they have captured this exact kind of scene in the past.

I have this short film idea that involves a poker table scene. 7 people will be sitting at the table. How do I mic everyone properly and be able to use a mixer in the process? What would the set up be like? Would I use only lavs? Or would I use multiple shotgun mics on booms? What would I do to record all the dialogue well?

Although not a poker table scene, I've seen scenes shot with a number of people round a table. What I've seen is essentially what Chrisk described. Lavs for each actor, 1 boom operator AND a PSM. This can be done with a 2 channel recorder but requires a very skilled PSM who knows the script inside out, a 4 or 8 channel recorder would obviously be easier.

In addition, as Chrisk also said, boom and lav again for all the closups and some wild dialogue tracks certainly wouldn't hurt either if possible! As there's likely to be a fair bit of dialogue editing for this scene, don't forget to record at least 30secs of room tone.

G

Back